Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QTP is identifying Browswer as a Window
Solved: 10 Years, 8 Months ago
When we run our existing QTP 10 tests on a new 64-bit Windows 7 machine, the web browser we are testing is identified as a Window instead of a Browser (even though we start IE in 32-bit mode), so no objects are identified and the tests fail completely. We have another Windows 7 machine that has no problem identifying the Browser, but it is a 32-bit machine. Or is the 64/32-bit issue a red herring, and the problem related to some QTP setting that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any reponses!

Hi,

Have you opened the Browser first and then QTP?

If so open the QTP first > open Browser > Identify the Brower
No, I open QTP first, and then the browser - and QTP sees the browser as a Window class.

FYI, the machine in question has these patches: QTP_00626, QTP_00644, QTP_00684 and QTPNet_00046 (for testing our Silverlight controls). The QTP_00644 patch is specifically for supporting Windows 7.

Before I installed those patches, the OS environment variable was empty and it now has "Microsoft Windows 7" as the OS. But we're still missing something, as IE8 is not being recognized as a Browser. Any ideas?

Debby
Try running the QTP and browser as admin.
Thanks,
SUpputuri
Thanks so much for your response!

Well unfortunately that works! Just opening QTP as admin (and having QTP open the browser) was not enough - I also had to manually open the browser as admin too.

I say unfortunately because we HAVE to be able to open our browser directly from QTP, which we have up to now been doing using the SystemUtil.Run method, because we have to enter credentials (UserName/Password) automatically from parameters that are passed to the test. (We force the credentials challenge by setting our local Intranet Options, Security settings to custom--> prompt for user name and password). We need to do this because different users have different permissions and a large part of our testing is making sure the appropriate users can only see the records that they own.

SOoooo....do you know of a way to open a browser "As Admin" directly from QTP?

We have no problem testing as described above, on Windows XP and we also had no problem even on our 32-bit Windows 7 machine - UNTIL TODAY. BUT TODAY (or perhaps last night), something changed on that Windows 7 machine so that now it too can't recognize the browser for our existing tests - QTP thinks the browser is a window class.....the same as it has been doing for our new (64-bit) Windows machine. This is just too confusing.

But at least if we had a way to open a browser as admin directly from QTP, or if there is some other workaround for this problem, we could proceed. Any ideas on this?

Debby
Have you checked the Web Add in?
Try after selecting it at startup.

-Amit
Hi ,

Disable UAC setting if enabled on Windows7.
Try it and see if that helps.

Atanu

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Objects identifying as WinObjects on IE with QTP/UFT santhosh kumar 5 5,189 05-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Last Post: vinod123
  QTP 10 not identifying objects in IE8 on 64 bit OS Ram2009 6 4,365 03-24-2015, 05:46 PM
Last Post: vinod123
  Is it possible to call Java window and Power Builder Window in 1 Action sbkhbk 0 2,425 06-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Last Post: sbkhbk
  QTP 11 - Chrome 24. Dialog box is identifying as Win object. Kannan R 0 2,943 08-13-2013, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Kannan R
  Does CSS in QTP can help identifying objects only ??? keeper_13 5 5,196 06-07-2013, 02:19 AM
Last Post: keeper_13