Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QTP not identfying combo box
I have a combo box in my application.
1. I type in the text which i want to select from the list
2. To select that i have to click the mouse on the items which came for the substring i typed so it is finally selected.
3. Then click on submit on the page.

Step 2 is not getting captured on the QTP due to which it throws an error as nothing has been selected in the list.
Please Help.
(04-10-2013, 02:10 PM)saranya193 Wrote: I have a combo box in my application.
1. I type in the text which i want to select from the list
2. To select that i have to click the mouse on the items which came for the substring i typed so it is finally selected.
3. Then click on submit on the page.

Step 2 is not getting captured on the QTP due to which it throws an error as nothing has been selected in the list.
Please Help.

Is it a combo where you can type and it appears? If you do it manually does it work?

Please paste the sample code with the exact error. It will help us to decode.
Basanth
Give a fish to a man and you feed him for a day..Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life.
Hi Basanth,
Yes it works manually, its a text box, if u type any value in that text box, respective value listed in the drop down list but QTP not able to select it instead it set the value while recording which my application cannot identify.
HI Saranya,

I think your application is developed using AJAX based controls (3rd party controls).

The better approach for this type of objects is use the Shell script and wait for a sec after enter each character. once you are done with all entering characters, then you can check whether you list item is displayed (usually it will be another webelement but not part of list box), then either you can use Replaytype 2 click or keyboard enter or devicereplay mouseclick.

Another approach is using DOM, place the direct value in the list box.

Let me know if you need any help on this.
Thanks,
SUpputuri
(04-11-2013, 11:50 AM)saranya193 Wrote: Hi Basanth,
Yes it works manually, its a text box, if u type any value in that text box, respective value listed in the drop down list but QTP not able to select it instead it set the value while recording which my application cannot identify.

Saranya,
My imagination has no bounds Smile Until you paste the code which you are trying to use, it is difficult to guide you in the right way. I dont want to start giving you solutions just for the sake of a post Wink
Basanth
Give a fish to a man and you feed him for a day..Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life.