Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change of Enviroment
Solved: 10 Years, 8 Months, 4 Weeks ago Exclamation 

How can I use the same scripts for a test in a different environment without changing the scripts line by line.

If you know the way, or have used, would you be able to share / explain in an elaborated way please
Solved: 10 Years, 8 Months, 4 Weeks ago
Code:
Dim env
env=environment("OS")
msgbox env
If env="Microsofr Windows XP workstation" Then
{Your script here}
else
{Mention other condition}
End If

The condition maybe OS,User name,configuration etc.
Hi Nancy,

You can use the
1) Environment variable : with URL
2) Use Global Sheet : To change the application URL
3) Use external file where you can specify the environment name and URL

I think this is the information what your are looking for..... If not let me know...
Thanks,
SUpputuri
Maybe by "environment" you mean a development vs production area? Maybe a .net vs a .com?

If so, you can use Regular Expressions to remove the environment specific portions.

Code:
Browser("url:=.*myurl.*)

This code would have allow your browser to view any url that contained "myurl" regardless of what the rest of the url is.

www.myserver/myurl .... works
www.myurl.net/ ... works
www.myurl.com/ .. works
www.thisismyurl .. works

Hopefully you are using Descriptive Programming for all your testing. If you are using the object repository or just doing "record and run" scripts they will not be reusable in a different environment if there is even the smallest of changes.

hope this helps.
We put all the dynamic information about our environment in an external file and use "Environment.LoadFromFile(fileName)" to load it into environment variables. We this for things like the URL of the test sever (it changes from time to time), product login information, account to log in to, etc. We have a global action "Login" that we use in every script that reads this environment file, starts the browser, goes to the test site, and logs in.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you Change Run mode mid script? Caleytown 6 6,502 03-25-2021, 08:27 AM
Last Post: RB26578
  [UFT] Change property of object (WpfButton) robertosalemi 2 2,483 11-22-2016, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Ankur
  Dynamic change of name for Webtables prakashreddy 1 2,268 10-25-2014, 09:53 PM
Last Post: supputuri
  How can I change my test folders, globally? atester 0 1,879 10-03-2014, 04:37 PM
Last Post: atester
  JavaDialog change every time i run my test Pkapoor 3 2,776 06-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Ankur