Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Create Test Object in Object Repository Manager
Not Solved
I am using QTP with a Terminal Emulator. I use the Navigate and Learn function within the Object Repository Manager to build my test objects for a given screen. Works great except for the field I need. There is a 2 character protected field I want to read, lets say it's AB. When the test object is built, instead of a field name, is shows AB(protected). It has the correct row and column, but I can't use that field in my scripts. When I change the record, it has a different value in it. I tried to create on with a specifice name and the row/column, but it says it can't find it on the application. How can I identify the object to use in a script? Thansk.
Not Solved
There are a few things you can and should do to fix this.
First TE needs to be set up to ID these fields a diferent way. Do this...
Go to Tools - Object Identification.
Then to the Environment dropbox choose Terminal Emulator.
There should be 3 object classes to work on.
Set TeField to Maditory Properties of length, start column and start row. Most mainframes don't have a large amount of feild location and size changes so this should get you done. I have assistive properties set Field id just in case.
TeScreen and TeWindow shouldn't need any tweeks.
Second thing is DON'T use Navigate and Learn. It places way too much stuff in your Object Repository. Unless you are touching each and every field for your test it's a waste of time and way too much to try to maintain.
Not Solved
Thanks for your help. I've tried setting fields up this way, and when I try to find the new field, I get the following error........ The selection object cannot be found in the application. Check that the application is open to the correct page or window and that the objects and it's parents do not have parameterized values.

What am I missing?
Not Solved
Not sure what's missing, but I think you can get to the bottom of it if you haven't already.
When you do get that error, immediately go to the object spy and look at the properties of the object in question. If you truly have ONLY start row and start column used to ID fields, I'm not sure what could be the issue. Did you remove the other test object details? If not, that may be the issue. Turn Ordinal identifier to None and make sure if you are in qtp11 that the Visual relation identifier settings are alson None.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ActiveX component can't create object: 'JavaWindow' JayeshK 0 1,475 01-07-2021, 01:12 PM
Last Post: JayeshK
  Create Terminal as object dapeamel 0 2,964 02-16-2018, 07:09 PM
Last Post: dapeamel
  object spy not recognizing object.. pleaseeeee help Sonia Sadeque 3 3,173 12-22-2016, 02:42 PM
Last Post: ishan.mahajan@adp.com
  Do we need object repository?? subhashinid 0 1,863 07-06-2016, 10:07 AM
Last Post: subhashinid
  When trying to recognize the object in QTP, each object is recognized as “WinObject:S geetasarvadnya 2 3,473 10-28-2015, 12:34 PM
Last Post: vinod123