Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estimate for preparing a basic test script
Not Solved
Hi everyone,
I am new to QTP and am using QTP v11. Once I am up to speed, my management wants me to start automating some test scripts for a web application being used.

I am asked to provide an estimate for 1 simple script now, based on which they can estimate the overall efforts for ~500 scripts available.

The sample script given to me should do the following steps:
1) Hit the Web URL. Login page will be displayed.
2) Login to the application.
3) Go to Item Master->Add Item.
4) Input data on the form, ~20 fields. Leave 1 mandatory field empty.
5) Click Save. Message for 'Field is Required' will be displayed.
6) Input the mandatory field value.
7) Click Save. Success message for 'Item Saved' will be displayed.

The failure at any step (and final success) should be logged with details (however that framework is already existing and needs to be used within this sample script).

The estimate breakup should have:
1) Time for 'recording'.
2) Time to manually edit the recorded script and implement the checks for pass/fail conditions.
3) Time for 'execution' of script.

Can anyone suggest the ballpark estimates per script like this, based on your experience so far?

Thanks in advance.

This is a priority request, hence would appreciate some swift responses and help.
Not Solved
1. SystemUtil.Run "iexplore.exe", "url of the application"
2. For Login basically for login we need username and password
Code:
Browser(micclass:=Browser).Page("micclass:=Page").WebEdit("name:=Username").Set "username of the web application"
Browser(micclass:=Browser).Page("micclass:=Page").WebEdit("name:=Password").Set "password of the web application"
if the login icon is image use the first statement and if the login is a button use 2nd statement
Code:
Browser(micclass:=Browser).Page("micclass:=Page").Image("name:=Login").Click
Browser(micclass:=Browser).Page("micclass:=Page").WebButton("name:=Login").Click
Go to Item Master and add Item
Code:
Browser(micclass:=Browser).Page("micclass:=Page").WebElement("name:=Item Master").Click
i want the details of the item master and add item screen to proceed for next step
Not Solved
The Item Master screen has 16 fields (one label and one textbox for each field):
1) Item_ID (* Mandatory)
2) Item_Name (* Mandatory)
3) Item_Description
4) Item_Type (* Mandatory)
5) Classified_YN (checkbox)
6) Class_ID
7) Mfg_Name
8) Mfg_Location
9) Serial_ID
10) Usage_Industry
11) UOM
12) Pkg_Type
13) Godown
14) Volatile_YN (checkbox)
15) Approver_ID
16) Approval_Date

The script will enter values for each field except #4 (Type). Click Save. Validation message for required field will be displayed on UI. This result will be captured by script as 'Pass' scenario and recorded in a log.
Then script will enter value for #4 Type. Click Save. Success messaged will be displayed on UI. This result will be captured by script as 'Pass' scenario and recorded in the log.
Not Solved
Any one with suggestions?

Vinod?
Not Solved
Estimation Parameters:

Test Script Complexity
Test Data Complexity
Risk Associated
Framework Build

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Calling a function in a Test Script from a function library anupam4j 3 5,905 06-26-2015, 12:31 AM
Last Post: babu123
  Can we access a table element in Script at runtime without a corr. test object? sepgs2004 1 2,910 10-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Last Post: anil2u
  Basic error handling RandomGrin 3 3,725 10-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Last Post: basanth27
  Flight reservation basic parameterization not working on qtp 11.5 srs246 0 3,569 01-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Last Post: srs246
  QTP Real-time Test Script for sap application kamal262007 1 3,318 10-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Ankesh