Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excel or Array?
Solved: 10 Years, 9 Months, 1 Week ago
Good Day, I was wondering why one would want to use an excel spreadsheet to store your data in as opposed to just an array?

I am creating test cases and have used arrays to store my variables in. I was thinking about using an excel spreadsheet, but then wondered why I should -- any thoughts?
Hi csutter,

there is no hard and fast rule to follow the data in excel file. But by keeping advantages people are going with excel like

1) user friendly, even non-automation guys can update the test data
2) Easy of maintenance
3) can quickly migrate to db with very minimal effort
4) can get perfect dictionary and you the advantages of Dictionary compare to array

hope this will be helpful.
Thanks,
SUpputuri
Hi Supputuri,

Thank-you for this answer. It makes sense to me. I appreciate your time.

What about if you are just checking fields on a page? Does it still make more sense to use excel?

csutter
What do you mean by checking fields?

Is it a data validation or fields validation or object status validations?
Thanks,
SUpputuri
I am doing field checking as well as looking at the lists for the pages and making sure that the default data lists are still the same.
If you are validating run time data then use arrays. For eg: You have value in field A and you expect the same to come up on Field B during runtime then use arrays for your validation.

If you have a static data which you need to validate against the run time data, then you will need the data stored somewhere which probably may need to be updated at a later stage. Hence, you may have to use any file system for your maintenance.
Basanth
Give a fish to a man and you feed him for a day..Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life.
Thank-you both for your help. Smile I now have a direction to go in and have an idea of what to put into a spreadsheet and what to put in an array.

Cheryl

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How To Capture Array Value into Excel Worksheet? Studymode 0 1,308 01-09-2018, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Studymode
  How to convert a single dimension array to two dimensional array venkatesh9032 3 5,226 02-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Last Post: pranikgarg
  Adding array to another Global array in VB Script test911 1 3,011 12-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Last Post: parminderdhiman84
  Parameterize Excel Columns for 2-Dimensional Array defcon3 2 3,411 06-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Last Post: defcon3