Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Build Your QTP Scripts?
Solved: 10 Years, 9 Months ago
Hello,

I have a basic question about QTP scripting.
My question is what is the ideal order in which to build your script?

It seems to me that you could record your script and then break it down into actions, while copying the VBScript found in the Expert view, and then associate the object repositories. On the other hand you could build a skeleton composed of your actions and then your associated object repositories and then record the code for each or the actions (or do the recording first and then the object repository associations).

So, which is the ideal? Which is the most common? And what are the pitfalls or advantages of each method?

Your comments are much appreciated.

From the documentation it seems that the traditional way is that you add the Actions, then add the object repositories, associate the object repositiories, and then add your steps. After all this you do and then you add your enhancements of checkpoints, parameterization, and functions, etc. Is this the way to do it most of the time? Is this the best way?

Thank you,
Brian
Solved: 10 Years, 9 Months ago
This can be implemented based on
1. the requirements of Application Under Test.
2. experience of the automation developer
3. Time and budget
so on..
In my opinion - first thing we should take in concideration is the AUT and the designing the test cases, depeding on these we can devide the test in suitable different Actions i.e. Reusable , Prepare and associate the repository to the actions and proceed with designing the reusables covering all possible test scenarios for particular action. finally all the actions can be assembled in a test to cover the whole scenario.

I think this is the best way to proceed with QTP scripting, although we can do this by any convenient method, we have some nice articles on this see at https://www.learnqtp.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need Excel template for mapping manual scripts to Automation scripts. ACCBAJPA 0 2,830 09-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ACCBAJPA
  Problem in identifying the menu which is build using component art shamak 0 2,269 01-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Last Post: shamak
  Help on how to build checkpoint to compare PB datawindow values row by row martinlam 2 5,021 09-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Last Post: martinlam
  Build Data Set for Training TestDataBoy 1 2,105 08-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Last Post: QTPLearn
  Porting Projects build in XP to windows 7 Tomas Rivera 1 1,942 07-28-2010, 02:44 AM
Last Post: Tarik Sheth