Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to test custom built reports, stored procedures using QTP
Solved: 10 Years, 9 Months ago
I am still researching on a dotnet application to automate with QTP, so replies to the below scenarios will be much appreciated.

1) What is the process and if possible generic code for testing "custom built reports" -they can be excel\cognos\BO - generated reports. How to or what is the code for comparing against the expected values.
2)If the value we provide in datasheet or excelsheet is "without comma" (1600.00) but the value generated in reports is "with comma" (1,600.00), then it will fail. How to avoid it.
3) When we compare expected and actual result values in 2 cells and we have to automatically fill pass\fail in the 3rd cell, then what should be the code.

4) What is the process and code for testing" custom made stored procedures".

--if you can provide generic code, that would be helpful. Thanks.
to add on to the above post as I cannot edit the above post --- "the reports can be in excel format or crystal reports format or in pdf format."
Hi azar80,

first of all , always maintain one query per thread.
excel/crystal/pdf reports can be tested in various ways, one of the ways could be direct comparison and more better a file comparison after retreiving the data from your report and compare it with your expected data.
for your second query, i would like to suggest you to first research on how to parse and work with strings, like in your case you can use 'Replace' function.

I would also like to suggest you to first try with yourself and let us know if you have any issues mentioning what ever you have tried, in that way we will be more than happy to help you rather providing a generic code Smile

some of the things has been discussed earlier. search this forum, I am sure you will definetly get some lead from there.

Hi Saket

Thanks for the reply.
Posted everything in one thread so as to keep at one place to address with no ambiguity. The project is still in requirement analysis stage going for signoff, so thought I should collect as much info as I can. I went through a lot of threads and still trying to find things which it seems may be addressed way back. I am a QA lead in fortune 500 company and trying to migrate from manual to automation. The more knowledge I grasp by researching and advise from seniors like you will guide me through to make decisions and recommend to my management team.
Looking forward to communiticate with you on this forum.

Thanks
sure Azar80, do post your queries here for whatever issues you are facing, we (forum members) will definitely like to help you.
All the best Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Customized HTML reports in QTP azeem 11 48,298 12-31-2016, 02:57 PM
Last Post: chevronneraji
  How to run driver script to kick off scripts stored in QC? shipu 0 3,382 04-30-2014, 02:39 AM
Last Post: shipu
  How to set value to custom property ? Ranu 0 1,946 11-14-2013, 02:58 AM
Last Post: Ranu
  Reports shayk1985 3 3,733 01-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Last Post: diya
  How do I call a functionname thats stored in a variable praveendasika 1 2,849 11-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Saleel Prabhu