Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ignoring a dynamically generated web window title
Not Solved
Hi

I have a recorded test that involve downloading a PDF report. The problem is each time the report is generated, it has a different number and this number is incorporated to the window's title. And it looks like when I ran test, because the window's title is different the test is failing. I was thinking that if I can get the test to ignore the title of the window, the test might run fine. Can any body help.

Cheers
Kathy
Not Solved
Go ahead and remove the title from the object identification settings.

if you don't want to remove/or if there is a problem in running the test , you can use regular expression for the changing piece of text in title
Want to fast track your QTP/UFT Learning? Join our UFT Training Course
Not Solved
Hi Ankur

I have tried you suggestion and remove the title of the window (text property), but it doesnt seem to work. I have attached a screen shot on what I did and the error message I got when running the edited test script.

[The error message I got was:
1. Step Name: Save - Step Failed - Save Cannot find the "Save" object's parent "0% of Questionnaire-17490571.p" (class Dialog). Verify that parent properties match an object currently displayed in your application. Failed 31/01/2008 - 11:31:14

2. Step Name: 0% of Questionnaire-17490571.p - Step Warning - 0% of Questionnaire-17490571.p Object's physical description:
Text =
simclass = #32770
Native Class = #32770
miccommentproperty =
is owned window = 0
is child window = 0
Warning 31/01/2008 - 11:31:15 ]

Attached Files Image(s)

Not Solved
well, it seems you only removed the value of title from object identification settings. QTP here will try to search for a blank value of title. What I meant was to remove title property as a whole from your settings.

OR of that doesn't work use regular expressions :

I assume the no in "Questionnaire-17490571.p" is changing. Click on the value property of title and modify it to Questionnaire.* and then check the use regular expression box
Want to fast track your QTP/UFT Learning? Join our UFT Training Course
Not Solved
Hi Ankur

I have now removed the "text" property. But it still doesn't work. Though after a closer inspection, I notice that there might be another reason it failed. It seems like when I run the test script, the pop up (PDF report) doesnt behave the same way as when I recorded the script.

When recording, when I click the link to download the report link, it opens a blank separate window then it prompts me to either Open/Save/Cancel and after I clicked on Save it prompted me to choose the location to save this file.

When running the test script, it seems like, the whole prompt step didn't happen. It opens the blank window bit then the window closed without prompting to Open/Save/Cancel (then the browse for location step). So when the script tries to execute the Save-ing part and the browse location part, there dialogue boxes doesn't exist.

What can I do to ensure the test script run still come up with the 2 prompts?

Cheers
Kathy

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UFT issues with Outsystems dynamically generated Id/names jherron 2 1,125 03-02-2020, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Swishy70
  Unable to capture value of Webelement which is changing dynamically sheetal 9 15,649 02-16-2018, 11:01 AM
Last Post: janki_kakadia
  Unable to click on dynamically changing webelement preeti 0 1,697 04-29-2017, 08:50 PM
Last Post: preeti
  Test runned from QualityCenter generated an error "Attempted to divide by zero." robertosalemi 1 2,367 10-14-2016, 08:38 PM
Last Post: robertosalemi
  Script is not generated for windows application in UFT sreelatha 1 2,162 04-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Last Post: vinod123