Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this a perversion of QTP?
Not Solved
Hey gurus,

So I am handed a CD with all our 'QTP Scripts' on it.

Turns out, there is exactly one test case which has one action, which calls a function that runs a giant .vbs script, which does all the work, running dozens of test cases. So in my 'Expert' view, I see basically one line of code.

In other words, QTP is just being used as a script-running program.

I'm new to QTP, but I expected to see a different script for each test case, with each test containing a few dozen steps/actions/keywords.

Instead I have ONE script, that makes ONE function call, then that function runs all the tests.

Is this a waste of QTP, or am I just an ignorant beginner? (Which, yes, I know I am.)

If this is a waste as I suspect, what do I tell my boss? How do I describe to him what we are missing by doing it this way?

My gut tells me we are missing out on the power of QTP, but I don't know how to convey that to my boss, since I am too new to really understand what the power of QTP is!

Thanks for any help,

Random
Not Solved Cool 
I am sure you are not the first to feel this way. It must be a style preference of advanced QTP script development practice. I would run the script to see if it does the job. Later I would learn how it has implement and try to create my own test script in the similar style or follow the same framework.
QTP is feature rich- It is just a matter of your style…
Not Solved
This usually happens when you have a framework. A framework will usually have only one driver script. scripts will be written in excel. The driver script will call and execute the steps from excel itself.

Start exploring the framework which u have..

Regards,
Ankesh