Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QC, QTP and RDP issue
Solved: 10 Years, 8 Months, 4 Weeks ago
QTP version: 10
Add-ins: QuickTest add in for Quality Centre, QTP add ins - ActiveX, Visual Basic, Web
OS: Windows 7 for my machine, XP Pro on the RDP'd machine

Hello,

I'm quite new to QTP and require some assistance. I am using Quality Centre (with the addin for QTP) and I run tests from Quality Centre on a remote host (by selecting them in QC) and watch them run via an RDP connection to the host.

As part of the script im running, it involves setting a value in a drop down box which then makes a text field appear. I then tell QTP to click inside the text field which then brings up a dynamic list (I think its an Ajax list). This all works fine if the RDP connection is currently visible on my screen (i.e. not minimised or hidden by one of my other windows) but if it is minimised etc it will not work as expected

Basically I tell QTP to make a selection from the drop down, then wait a few seconds for the text field to appear. I set the text field to "" and tell QTP to click on the text field. I then use the send keys method which can then select from the dynamic list (its a bit fiddley though, I have to use {DOWN}{ENTER}{TAB} to make a selection for it to be validated by the system.)

When the RDP window is not visible on screen (and running on remote host, the system however is active and clearly visible within the RDP connection), the selection is made from the drop down but then it is unable to make a selection from the dynamic list.

I assume the problem is either:

The focus is not being placed on the text field (so there is no blinking line)

or

The focus is being placed on the text field but send keys only work if I have the RDP window visible on screen

How do you put absolute focus on a text field?

Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.
Solved: 10 Years, 8 Months, 4 Weeks ago
Lets funnel it,

1. Instead of RDP can you check if you can use VNCviewer to view your remote connection?

VNC is a freeware. Google it, download it and then you will have to install the VNC server on the remote machine and the VNC viewer on the local machine.
Basanth
Give a fish to a man and you feed him for a day..Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life.