Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QTP and Multiple Users
Solved: 10 Years, 8 Months, 4 Weeks ago
Hi,

I am new with QTP and self teaching myself.

I plan to have a test script which contains reusable actions (which includes Login, Sequence of Actions in order and logout) and store the same in a share location in one of our network drive.

Can someone please advise me how to go from here if many users has to use this test script with their respective datatable. Following are my questions.

1) Can the Test script be shared between many users at the same time? If yes, will it require any special setup?

2) Does each user require QTP installed in their local machine or QTP can be invoked from a central location in one of our network location?

3) How user administration can be performed in terms of privileges through QTP?

For information, we intend to use QTP 9.2.

Thanks in advance for your response.
Subha

Subha -

My answers below,

1) Can the Test script be shared between many users at the same time? If yes, will it require any special setup? Test script per say at the same time cannot be opened by multiple users from the same location and edited.

2) Does each user require QTP installed in their local machine or QTP can be invoked from a central location in one of our network location? Yes. Each of the user requires QTP to be installed on their location machine and it cannot be invoked from a central location which could be used by many.

3) How user administration can be performed in terms of privileges through QTP? What kind of administration are you looking for? There arent as such. The licenses dont come as admin or non-admin. Once you install QTP with a valid license, thats it. There is no user administration there.
Basanth
Give a fish to a man and you feed him for a day..Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life.
Solved: 10 Years, 8 Months, 4 Weeks ago Big Grin 
Thanks Basant. Your response was informative and very helpful to me.

In reponse to your answer, I have a following clarification.

Even though each user has QTP installed in their local machine, is it advisable -
A) To store the Test scripts with reusable Actions in a central location in one of our network location?
B) Then, each users can have their separate test folders using the same shared test script by coping but different Data set (through Datatable) in the same network location?

Please advise a better way to organize the test area, if any. My objective is to build reusable components which each users (testers) can assemble for their test as required.

Thanks
Subha
Suba -
If i read your words i see that you are looking to build a hybrid framework which is inter-coupled as data based and modularity. Well, in my opinion the answers to your question would be so,
1. Generalize the actions in such a way that they can be just used as parts and then assembled together. Yes, you can place these reusabale actions in a centralized network and then your team mates can call those actions as a copy of the action. Should suffice your needs.
Few pointers from the trodden path -
1. Build your framework in such a way that you dont duplicate the effort. Plan your actions such that you parameterize it to an extent as such that it should be just picked up and used with least modifications.
2. Use functions. Very efficient and clears so much of confusion. Classify and structure your actions/functions such that it is easier for you to make the call with the least of issues. Imagine your cell phone and the way you would organize your contacts.
3. Try to perform most of the activites programatically. This will iron out the dependencies arising out of the app - tool sync. Also, always try to control the tool and dont let the tool take over its way.
4. If you have to use datatables or excel spreadsheets then organize your data in such a way that you dont have to script the same thing multiple times.

With my sleepy eyes and half slept brain this is all which i would suggest at the moment.
Let me know if you require any more information.
Basanth
Give a fish to a man and you feed him for a day..Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life.
Thanks once again Basanth. Very helpful suggestions. Sorry to misspell your name earlier Smile

I feel excited with your suggested point on "Building Framework" in point 1, "Use Functions" in point 2 and "Performing Activities Programatically" in point 3. I also share the same philosopy. Is it possible to share some type of documentation for above implementation or a design doc. which could give me a sence of direction in my QTP implementation plan.

Will be gratefull for your help.
Thanks,
Subha
I was to point out the spell mistake about my name, but you are smart enough to read my mind Smile.

I would like to write pages about it, however, so far, i havent had an oppurtunity to actually write a Design Doc which would be generic enough like a test plan for implementation. Here is how i would do this,

1. Look through the Application, the test cases and the technological layers involved in the design of the application ( Eg: .Net, web, etc etc).
2. Build a Automation Proof Of Concept. Sample few test cases which are workflow based or which traverse quite through the application and which are critical.
3. Your POC should begin with,
3.0 Technical Feasibility - Check if the automation tool can talk to the application without any hassle. If you have a hassle see if you can resolve it.
3.1 Design a framework
3.1.1 - Your framework would skeletally be dependent on,
a. Data - Input to your test scripts. Could be Excel ( Test cases, Parameters etc etc )
b. Library - This will contain all your functions, and re-usable code. Basically a library which holds all the reusable components together.
c. Test Scripts - QTP scripts or VB scripts which is the test execution requirement.
d. Log - Each and every action performed needs to be accounted for and you will have to decide how you would want your log file definition to be. You can use the QTP generated log output or write your own log to a text file or a html file depending upon your design convienence.
d. Test Execution - You will need to find out how you may want to execute your test scripts. You can control your execution externally( through excel based on conditions) or let QTP integrated tool like QC or test batch runner do it for you.

3.2 Once you have your framework in place the rest would be technical mundane coding which will challenge you to script and integrate your scripts with the various parts of the framework.

I have tried to put in almost all the primitive information required for you to begin with. I hope this helps you. Honestly, I have no generic design doc or do i have the time to create one.
Based on the above, if you have any questions let me know.
Basanth
Thanks Basanth. I will give it shot.

I have another query related to Multiple Data Set having different set child data set. I will raise a separate thread for this.

Thanks,
Subha

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Import multiple values from excel into QTP Shaik Ahmed 2 3,249 03-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Shaik Ahmed
  Installing QTP -Freeware on Multiple Machine sangi 1 2,624 06-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Last Post: Ankur
  Multiple users executing QTP script using Excel Input vinodindia 0 3,121 07-05-2012, 11:41 PM
Last Post: vinodindia
  Launch multiple links via Excel by exec QTP wbsn2000@yahoo.com 2 3,779 02-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Last Post: knowsantu
  validation of users rajuega 0 1,717 01-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Last Post: rajuega