Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regresive testing
Solved: 10 Years, 9 Months, 1 Week ago Wink 
Hi,

can any one tell me about the regressive testing in details.
Pls .

Regards,
veera
Solved: 10 Years, 9 Months, 1 Week ago
Since this is not a specific QTP question, my suggestion for you would be to do a google search. Here is one of the results from my google search.

The selective retesting of a software system that has been modified to ensure that any bugs have been fixed and that no other previously working functions have failed as a result of the reparations and that newly added features have not created problems with previous versions of the software. Also referred to as verification testing, regression testing is initiated after a programmer has attempted to fix a recognized problem or has added source code to a program that may have inadvertently introduced errors. It is a quality control measure to ensure that the newly modified code still complies with its specified requirements and that unmodified code has not been affected by the maintenance activity.
i am new to QTP too, does regressiong test has to cover every functions in the system or just the main flows.
My opinion on regression testing priority.

1. Biggest Bang for the buck (i.e. major functionality). If you are new this is the area that you will want to make general functions that will be able to be used in other testing. **Note below for more info.
2. Errors found in production. If an error made it to production, you would want to make a script to test for it so that it doesn't happen again. Nothing in QA looks worse than an error getting into production more than once.
3. Stuff that is easy to automate (i.e. the menu funtionality, dialog functionality, etc.)
4. If time then try automating the rest.

** A assumption I have for step 1 is that a TestPlan is already in place. If this isn't true, then creating a test plan would be step one. So after a test plan is created, go through this test plan and determine the high priority test cases and these are where I would start. Also, talk to the user/support staff to find out what area's normally have issues in production.