Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suddenly odd behavior for QTP
Not Solved Question 
Hello everyone,

I started to run a script yesterday, but it decided to act strangely. This script worked perfectly on Wednesday of last week. In fact, it has worked just fine for more than a year. It is a very simple script that does the following:

1. Imports some data from Excel.
2. Navigates to a particular page to run insurance re-illustrations
3. Saves the output for verification

So here is the strange behavior I am seeing.

First, on the data import, it will only allow for a manual import. I am using DataTable.ImportSheet. I was passing in the file's name, the name for the source sheet, and the name for the destination sheet. All worked perfectly for all that time. Now, though, when it runs, the importing of the sheet does not import. If I debug and import the sheet manually, the script will then start running again.

Next, while the script will continue running after the manual importing of the sheet, problems arise at the first set of commands. The very first command is to do a Browser.Navigate to the page I need to start the run. That is followed by a couple of clicks on links on that page. Here is where the strangest behavior is. If I let it run, it will sit on each step for nearly two minutes and then execute the step. It will do this for every step in the script. However, if I pause the script, it will perform that step, move to the next step and pause. If I then click the Run button, it will sit there again. Yet again, if I pause and run it, the steps will execute immediately. If I let it run by itself, each step will sit there for minutes.

Any ideas on either of those? Literally nothing has changed between last week and this week (other than I am older and more frustrated Big Grin). I am the only person that uses the machine it is on. That machine has received no new updates, and I swear I am doing everything the same way I have always done it. I could be missing something, though. I would appreciate any ideas you might have!

Adam

QTP version: 10.00.0.0 build 513
IE version: 6.0.2900.5512.xpsp_sp3qfe.130503-0418CO
Excel version: 2007
Not Solved
Woah..It looks more like a crime scene investigation to me Smile Nevertheless, Few things to check,

1. Was any recovery scenario added to the test?
2. What are the process being executed during QTP execution? Kick off the execution and You can check this up on the Task Manager, and see how much memory is QTP consuming? See if Excel.exe has a spike in the memory or if there is any other application which is causing a memory lag?
3. Did you restart the system? Which in all probable case you must have done, Uninstall and reinstall QTP.

Let me know if it helps.
Basanth
Give a fish to a man and you feed him for a day..Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life.
Not Solved
I really appreciate the ideas for things to look at. I did some looking into it, and I have found the following:

1. I have not added any recovery scenarios and none originally existed.
2. I went in and killed every additional service and process on the machine to look at this. My company runs about 10,000 additional processes to monitor everything. I killed every last one that was not system essential. Outside of standard Windows XP services that run, the only other things running are IE and and QTP. I removed Excel from the equation completely by manually setting values for a couple of runs.
3. I have restarted a couple of times. I will see if I can get it uninstalled and reinstalled.

I did notice that killing all of the processes SEEMED (it could just be my imagination) to speed it up slightly. It now takes well under two minutes to do each step. The trouble is that I don't have anything else left to kill. Additionally, I have tried this on two different computers now, and the results have been the same.

I will ask this: is there anything my company could do to either QTP or QC to cause an oddity like this? They have bastardized how QC is used here, so we do not use it in our area. Everything we run is local and no calls are made to QC. However, they are doing some revamping of QC stuff around here, and that just started on Monday. Also, we have the concurrent license setup with a license server. QTP obviously loads if I am getting to running scripts, but could either the work on QC or some sort of odd licensing issue be causing this?

Thanks again for the help!
Not Solved
Aah...Well, I believe QTP authenticates license only once. However, is your QTP automatically connected to QC? Probably in that case, due to changes on QC server, QTP may be trying to authenticate everytime..Again, that could probably be the reason.

Lets say, if you open up a new blank test and write,
Code:
msgbox "This is to check execution time"

Does this take 2 minutes? If it does then its the tool. Just uninstall and re-install it. I wish you find a solution to it soon as such issues can sometimes make you feel you have hit the wall.
Basanth
Give a fish to a man and you feed him for a day..Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UFT 11.51 + IE 8 strange IE behavior psova 1 2,299 12-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Last Post: Raj21esh
  How to identify the object when it is dynamically changing behavior venkatbatchu 12 8,456 01-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Last Post: vinod123