Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions on best approach - OR cannot find apps main window
Hi All,
My applications main window's description changes based upon a number of factors, which makes it impossible to have it consistently recognized in the Object Repository. Since the main window cannot be recognized, none of the child objects can be seen either. I have researched a number of solutions to the problem... Descriptive programming(I want to avoid this solution, too many things to child objects to declare), parameterizing the name in the OR. I have created a script to find the name of the Window prior to performing any actions on it. I would like to pass that into the Object Repository and properly identify the object before running my scripts. All my scripts will need to run using this information. Can anybody suggest a best approach to this?
Thanks, PM
(06-26-2009, 05:47 PM)pamandel Wrote: Hi All,
My applications main window's description changes based upon a number of factors, which makes it impossible to have it consistently recognized in the Object Repository. Since the main window cannot be recognized, none of the child objects can be seen either. I have researched a number of solutions to the problem... Descriptive programming(I want to avoid this solution, too many things to child objects to declare), parameterizing the name in the OR. I have created a script to find the name of the Window prior to performing any actions on it. I would like to pass that into the Object Repository and properly identify the object before running my scripts. All my scripts will need to run using this information. Can anybody suggest a best approach to this?
Thanks, PM

Hi there,

one of the way is you can use the "Define New Property" in the OR, where the object will identify only based on the property you defined.

Let me know if you need more on this.
Thanks,
QTPKing
(07-08-2009, 06:21 PM)QTPKing Wrote:
(06-26-2009, 05:47 PM)pamandel Wrote: Hi All,
Thanks, PM

Hi there,

one of the way is you can use the "Define New Property" in the OR, where the object will identify only based on the property you defined.

Let me know if you need more on this.
Thanks,
QTPKing

Thank you for the suggestion. I will look into it. I actually did find a solution that works for me. I just used SetTOProperty. I tried that previously but must have been doing something wrong because it didn't work, it does now.

Thanks, PM