Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two questions about QTP
Solved: 10 Years, 9 Months ago
I didnt decide to use QTP yet. But I need to know some question before I use it.

1. I heard sometime QTP doesn't recgonzie controls. What can I do to continue the autoamtion if it happens.
2. If the UI changed, do I need to record the whole testing?
Hi - Can you clarify what exactly the controls mean. Do you mean if QTP doesnot recognise objects?

1) QTP - has addins to work with different languages - if you have any issues with languages that it supports than we can contact HP directly with any issue.
2) If UI changes - QTP uses properties to recognise objects and also uses test objects concept. Its always recommended to use Design specification document to verify that the properties didnot change. If any properties change than it will not recognise. By default QTP doesnot use X and Y coordinates.
3)Looks like this forum really deals with techology issues like scripting not management issues that resources of management can get answers like a QA process or management manager will have.
Hope this clears some doubts you have.
Yes, I mean objects by saying controls.

Language maybe one of the reason. But I heard of my friends that they use QTP but QTP cannot recognize one of the test objects in UI. So the test is blocked.

If UI changes, like delete a object or add a object. Do I need to record everything?
I am a beginner in QTP.

Regarding your question about QTP not recognizing certain objects, etc.. can you be more specific what you are trying to test, and what kind of objects you are keeping in your mind, etc? Then people in this forum should be able to answer specifically and clearly.

The application I test is a web app. Almost all the pages are built on the fly and its all custom. The page layout, controls (form fields and their order), everything changes based on configuration as well as data. Every client will have their own preference on layout of panels, order and style of data/form-fields that appear on panels, etc. For this I had to do descriptive programming like: for example, if I am testing a process, which boils down to few clicks on few controls across few pages, then using QTP scripting, I check if the control exists then click on it and if a form field exists then fill data etc. If not exists and its required then record error, otherwise skip the step etc.

For static controls and objects, we can pretty much do record/play based testing. Only for dynamically changing controls and objects, we need descriptive programming.

There is another thing, say, we record our test for your application version 3.1, now your application 4.0 is released and one or more controls or objects changed (added/deleted/modified), we obviously need to re work on the test. Because the application is not anymore the same as before. So we are testing a different process. It is same as the scenario where the tester, doing manual testing, needs to learn some things new due to these changes.

Also I use recovery scenarios, where if any failures, beyond all this programming, happens, test process is told to go to next iteration. Recovery scenarios can be setup, at this unexpected occasion, to stop the test, or to go to next step of the test, etc.

But if your pages changes

Also my workplace do not have HP Quality center product. We just have QTP. Probably you can do a whole lot more with this Quality center.
Thanks a lot for your reply. That helps. There is another thing I still didn't understand well. As you said, if we record the test for version 3.1, now the application 4.0 is released. It is true that we obviously need to re work on the test. But I like to have minimum changes to my test. For QTP, do I need to record everything? I can give an example. Say my old app just have button 1 and button 2. Now I add a button 3. Can I just easilly modify the script and dont need to record it anymore?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  few questions?? ACCBAJPA 1 2,295 07-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Last Post: QTpier
  QTP supportabi​lity questions debby_huijin 1 2,096 05-19-2014, 06:32 AM
Last Post: debby_huijin
  Hello All -Nice forum to start learning QTP. Few questions QTP.learning 0 1,790 05-18-2014, 04:10 PM
Last Post: QTP.learning
Question QTP Questions yodhpal 1 3,365 03-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Last Post: basanth27
  3 basic questions..please help Blizna 5 4,751 07-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Last Post: sasmitakumari