Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to Record and Run Successfully
Not Solved
Hey There;

I have used QTP for quite some time now, but I am running into an issue that i have not seen before, and have not idea how to resolve.

I am creating a regression test for an internal application. I start recording on the initial login page, which is essentially a dialog window from the parent object. The very first time it launches i am able to record just fine. But if i try to record it again, the object name has a _2 after it. And a third time it has _3, fourth time _4, and so on. So the object is continually changing every time it is loaded.

Is there a setting in QTP that will stop this from happening?

I have attached the object repository to actual show you what is happening.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

Not Solved
It seems you are working on multiple instances of your application at the same time... If you have more than one--similar window-- open at any given time then in order to uniquely identify it, QTP has to give it a unique name.

Just work on one instance at a time.
Want to fast track your QTP/UFT Learning? Join our UFT Training Course
Not Solved
Thanks for the prompt reply Ankur. Unfortunately i do only have one instance of the application going at a time. One thing i did notice, and I am not sure if this is causing an issue, is the title bar of the application has the date and time in it. So the object is always capturing the date (which will always change) as well as the time (which is always changing). Would this be causing an issue because the stored object in the repository has a date/time of when the actual RUN takes place?

Thanks again for your assistance.
Not Solved Smile 
oh yes ...that's the culprit...you should have mentioned that before...but good that you found out Smile

Just make it a regular expression in object repository.

For ex:

if title name is daben122008, click on value > change it to daben.* and check the regular expression check box under it.
Not Solved
hmmmm...tried that but for some reason it still did not work?
Not Solved
post the screenshot of object repository and regex
Not Solved
Attached...

Attached Files Image(s)

Not Solved
I am not able to see the value of regexpwndtitle with .* in it.

You need to take the screenshot of the part which contains .* and then attach again.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Unable to Run QTP on Windows 8 IE 10. Please Help gthomas 2 2,082 12-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Vinay Y J
  Error of checkpoint in record & run mood arif 0 2,084 11-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Last Post: arif
  Record and run differences on "button with context menu" cem404iuce 0 1,722 11-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Last Post: cem404iuce
  Unable to run script while function is used in script.. mansis 1 2,736 09-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Ankesh
  Unable to record as Standard Web objects properly on Firefox version using QTP 11.0 pradeep singh 3 5,165 09-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Last Post: jesonvan