Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Versioning QTP scripts.
Not Solved Cool 
I need to know if I can version QTP scripts in Team Foundation Server without Quality Center?
I have used Quality Center and versioned my scripts with VSS and all was great but my new employer has QTP but not Quality Center and he want's to version the scripts in TFS without QC. Is this possible?

I have asked this question everywhere I can but no luck with a reply. I would apprecaite at least a reply.

Thank you.
Not Solved
Fredman, I have no idea of TFS with QTP

I tried google search and got this http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowFor...8&SiteID=1
Not sure if you have already seen that.

Post the solution whenever you get it...might be of use sometime.
Want to fast track your QTP/UFT Learning? Join our UFT Training Course
Not Solved
Ankur, Thanks for your quick response.
I know that Team Foundation server supports version control and it would be fairly easy to implement if I had Quality Center but I don't have that. I just have QTP. I'm begining to think that this can't be done with QTP alone
Not Solved
It seems you are looking for scripts repository and a place from where you can run your scripts right(like the way you did in QC)?

So, as per my thinking your problem is not versioning of QTP scripts --- as you can do it in TFS --- but of finding a place where you can run your scripts from... Correct me if I am wrong
Want to fast track your QTP/UFT Learning? Join our UFT Training Course
Not Solved
You are correct. A repository that will allow me to version the scripts through TFS.
Not Solved
Hi Ankur,

Based on your response above (post #4), we can do QTP script versioning in TFS. Can you please guide or problem more insight on how to perform this?
One of my requirements is to move all my automation bed to TFS and branch the scripts to be in sync with the new builds. How can we achieve this?
Thanks a lot for your valuable input.
Not Solved
Hi Ankur,
I have the same query.
Is that possible to maintain/run QTP scripts from TFS?
If possible, please explain the approach.

Thanks in advance.

Kiran
Not Solved
I tried to use TFS to do this and it failed because unlike other source repositories (SR) TFS does not know if the file was changed by an editor outside of TFS. I've never heard of a SR that didn't tell you when a file was changed when compared with source.

The problem that I ran into is that QTP updates more than just the file that contains the actual code when you make an update to a test case so it can become very hard to figure out which files changed. Then you have to find some way of telling TFS that the set of local files are newer than the ones in the repository.

If anyone has come across a way to make this work please post it. I love to find a way to make this work.

Thanks

Jeff