Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why scripting instead of using inbuilt features of QTP
Not Solved
Hi Saket\Ankur\or any senior resource --No one can answer my doubt except experienced resources like you.

"instead of touching the nose directly with finger, why do lot of resources like to take the hand around the head and try to touch the nose"

Basically - instead of using the features provided within QTP or any tool, why do lots and lots of resources try to write more than 2 lines of code. This is just one instance, i see a lot of wastage like this or other.

As a resource who has to justify Return On Investment, how can I or anyone justify even wasting of 2 minutes in a hour writing code instead of using inbuilt features. Companies buy tools for their inbuilt features. If the resource\s dont want to use the inbuilt features of tools and want to write code to test then its better to use opensource tools which are free instead of investing in a tool especially expensive tool like QTP.

Sorry if it hurts anyone's feeling but I truly cannot justify ROI on it. Any reason why the resources do that?
Not Solved
Thats definitely a good idea to look into such kind of cases (if it happens). I completely agree with you that we should first try to use the inbuilt features only whenever applicable. But at the same time it may depend on your requirement, objective, AUT etc.

as you said "wasting of 2 minutes in a hour writing code instead of using inbuilt features", would you like to elaborate the query specifying any particual instance when this happened at your side?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Objectless Scripting Sruthe 1 1,247 04-06-2018, 05:09 PM
Last Post: Ankur
  Case changes while reading values from inbuilt datatables krishnakittu03 3 2,735 04-28-2015, 11:34 AM
Last Post: kbhargava505
  need to check Alert messages in scripting setukaran 2 3,126 11-21-2014, 01:16 AM
Last Post: prs2014
  Using QTP features in Function library TurtleRock 0 1,645 01-30-2014, 06:02 PM
Last Post: TurtleRock
  Vb Scripting Tutorial Payal Sharma 3 7,818 05-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Ankesh