Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cross browser testing - am I on the right track?
Solved: 10 Years, 9 Months ago
Hello! I am very new to QTP (using QTP 10) and am attempting to figure out the best way to run hundreds of tests on multiple versions of IE. Has anyone done something similar that could offer any advice? I have spent a lot of time reading on this forum, taking online courses, etc., but just haven't found what I'm looking for exactly. Here is where I am currently:

1. I have created a shared object repository that contains the objects for each version of IE that we are testing (IE6, IE7 and IE8).

2. I have created reusable actions for the tests that I need to run. Examples of the kinds of test I'm creating include, searching for SKU's, verifying pricing, clicking links, logging in, etc.

3. I have associated my shared repository with the reusable actions.

4. The reusable actions contain conditional statements - I am using GetROProperty to find the browser version, and then continue with the test logic based on what browser I am in.

I go through this entire process, and when I run the tests I run into the problem where my test doesn't recognize my objects. I have associated my global repository to the general test as well.

For troubleshooting purposes, I created a new shared object repository with just a few objects for IE8. I then associated it with a new test without all the conditional statements (just using IE8) and it wouldn't find the object again.

I have followed the instructions to create and associate a shared repository, so I do believe I am doing this correctly. Anyone else have this challenge? Does it seem like I am on the right track with what I need to accomplish?

I appreciate the help!
Becky
Becky,
Exciting to read. I must appreciate you for taking time to clearly explain what you are doing and what you need.

Few pointers,
1. Yes, you are heading in the right direction. However, you will need to tweak up a bit to suit better.
2. We will have to split this discussion. Question1 which deals with the right path is answered. Question2 is issues you are encountering with objects.

So far so good ? Hope so Smile

My suggestions,

1. Do not associate the Repository. Try to implement this logic,

Case : IE 6
Load IE6 based object repository ( Research on Objectrepositoryutil)
Call the actions related to IE6
Validation
Reporting
End Case

See if this helps you.
Basanth
Give a fish to a man and you feed him for a day..Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life.
Basanth,

Thank you so much for the tip - loading the object repositories did the trick!

Becky
Hi,

How do u use different versions of ie at a time in same system..?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Cross Browser Sync Not Working geodude 0 1,852 04-07-2017, 08:43 AM
Last Post: geodude
  Chrome Extension UFT Agent for Chrome Browser testing with UFT santhosh kumar 2 12,082 04-20-2016, 01:20 AM
Last Post: santhosh kumar
  Text field with red cross when running script jrnicl3 0 1,837 03-06-2014, 09:22 PM
Last Post: jrnicl3
  Browser Compatability testing using QTP11 naveen51 1 1,922 12-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Last Post: supputuri
  error object disabled on line 9 where it says " Browser("Browser").CloseAllTabs" kp_usa 1 3,091 12-20-2012, 12:20 AM
Last Post: adityapant27