Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
parameterizing and datatable
Solved: 10 Years, 8 Months, 4 Weeks ago
What is the difference between datatable and parameterizing? explain with some example.
This is very imp question,had been asked several time.Never come up with precise answer,always think both are the same.It will be a help it someone can explain it.

Thanks,
first i would like to get your answer... we will build upon it.
Want to fast track your QTP/UFT Learning? Join our UFT Training Course
Hi,

1)By using Datatable we do parameterization.
2)First we add parameters to datatable and enhance the script and then we pass the multiple sets of data by using datatable parametrs.
3)Datatable is set of Excel sheets with full excel functionality.
4)We can import the data from external sheet or textfile to Datatable and that data can be passed for the iteration.
5)What ever the output from our program we can see in the runtime datatable and also we can export this to external sheet.

If i am wrong correct me.

Regards
Sridhar
we can parameterize data in QTP by following ways.

There are four types of parameters:
1)Test, action or component parameters enable you to use values passed from your test or component, or values from other actions in your test.

2)Data Table parameters enable you to create a data-driven test (or action) that runs several times using the data you supply. In each repetition, or iteration, QuickTest uses a different value from the Data Table.

3)Environment variable parameters enable you to use variable values from other sources during the run session. These may be values you supply, or values that QuickTest generates for you based on conditions and options you choose.

4)Random number parameters enable you to insert random numbers as values in your test or component. For example, to check how your application handles small and large ticket orders, you can have QuickTest generate a random number and insert it in a number of tickets edit field.

Regards
Sridhar
parameterizing is done to run the test with multiple no of data.
Datatable is a table with functionality of excel.

Is it correct?
Datatable is built-in table in QTP with full functionality of excel ,you can store various values in datatable that you can use in you application .You can use Datatable for giving an input to your application or to output your result in a datatable.

Parametrization : It is a way to test your application with multiple values.
eg: Lets say you have some script with variables "X" & "Y" and you assign values to "X" & "Y" in your script .When you Run your script , it always takes the same "X" & "Y" values .

To check how our application works with multiples sets of data , we make use of parametrization .In this case we define the same variables ie "X" & "Y" in our Datatable and fill the datatable with multiple values .So when you run your script , it takes all the values which we have defined in our datatable.Thus satisfying the condition of testing the application with multiple values.

Hope you it is fine ....
Datatable stores some records.
We need to test our application for mutiple values. These values are stored in datatable.
So when we run our application, the values are picked up from the datatable and are passed thr the parametrized objects.
Data table is nothing but built in xls sheet there r 2 types of sheets
1>Globle sheet , only one Globle sheet
2>local sheet ,as many actions those many local sheet
Data Table contains minimum 2 sheet and maximum 256

Parameterization: process of replacing constant value with a parameterwhick take value from external source
different souces can be
i>data table
ii>Environment veriable
iii>Random Numbers
iv>Action parameter
Hi, I need help using Data Table. If I have to use Data Table for a Webelement .click event, how do I do that?
Example: I have to select a user from one page.
That will be like this
Browser("name:="&Browsername).Page("title:="&Browsername).WebElement("innerhtml:=&username).Click
If I have to parametrize the username how do I do that. Please help.
thanks,
ss
datatable is subset of parameterizing