Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
synchronization point
Solved: 10 Years, 8 Months, 2 Weeks ago
can anyone explain wat is meant by synchronization point with an example?
Hello Balatester,

As the name specifies, "Synchronization Point" is nothing but to say QTP to wait till some specified condition occurs. You can specify the conditions.

We need Synchronization Point because we are always not sure how much time it takes for an Object to get loaded to a page/window.

Let's take an example of "Login" page of any application. You want to provide "UserName" in the UserName field after opening the site via QTP.We can provide value only after "UserName" field is visible. But sometime it may take 10 seconds for the "UserName" field to be appear in the Login page. Sometime it may take 30 seconds (Depends upon the internet speed).At this point QTP script fails as the object is not displayed in the page. So here what we do through "Synchronization Point" is to tell QTP to wait untill the "UserName" field appears on the page, may it take 10 secs or 30 secs.

There are 2 ways (for Web Application) you can acheive this as follows:

Code:
> Browser("").Sync (Only in case of Web App) : QTP waits untill all the objects are loaded to the Browser

> WaitProperty (Any type of App) : QTP waits untill the specified condition is satisfied
Following is an example of "WaitProperty"

Code:
Syntax: Object.WaitProperty "Property Type","Property Value",TimeOut

Ex: Browser("Login").Page("Login").WebEdit("UserName").WaitProperty "visible",True,20000
Browser("Login").Page("Login").WebEdit("UserName").Set "balatester"

In the above example QTP waits untill the WebEdit "UserName" is visible in the page.Then it sets the UserName in the field.

Hope it helps you.
Hi Prabhat,

Very good explanation.......Smile
Hi prabhat,

The explanation is too good to understand..Thank u
hi buddies can u give me sample scripts for exporting the contents from MS-Access to Excel sheet without importing to datatable but thro' VB scripts
hi prabhat,

I have one query,

I have set Synchronization Point to a web page(form) where qtp has to wait till button is visble. So suppose if button is visible after 10-15 mins then how to handle this situation.
Right now my qtp script moves to next line if the time specified in (File>settings>run>Object Synchronization Timeout) exceeds.
I don't want to hard code time in settings. i have also specified time in waitproperty statement but that also doesn't help me!!
Help Required,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Synchronization using waitproperty Nisha 1 2,179 10-29-2016, 09:20 AM
Last Post: supputuri
  QTP standard check point Error? Ramadas 0 2,148 10-31-2013, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Ramadas
  synchronization sia sharma 9 5,671 08-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Last Post: sshukla12
  Synchronization point vasanthibv@gmail.com 2 3,343 08-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Last Post: pradeep singh
  Synchronization point vasanthibv@gmail.com 2 2,949 08-07-2012, 03:26 PM