Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Checking existence of few fields after a selection made
Solved: 10 Years, 8 Months, 3 Weeks ago
Hello All,

1. I have a WebList having 2 options "Yes and No"
2. If I choose "Yes" from the list, four links appear in the page
3. If I choose "No" from the list, the links dissappear.

I need to check whether the the list options are working or not.
Infact these list options are working fine.

But the problem in automating this is, even when the links are not visible in the page (means when "No" is selected from the list), the "visible" property of the links are "True". Even when I am clicking on the link (through QTP) when it is invisible, it navigates to the correct destination page.

I tried it by Descriptive Programming also, but it made no difference.

This is one scenario of my application (WebList-Link combination). There are others also like when I click on a "CheckBox", few "WebEdit" and "WebList" appear and when I uncheck the "CheckBox", the fieilds dissappear.
This is bit strange. And i think this is the design problem of your application.

Can you once again check the link properties which are not available when the links are not actually visible?

Or you can check the active and broken links by using page checkpoint.

Although it might not be a solution but we have to find out the work around solution by putting effort in all the way.
Hello Anirban,

U r right. This looks strange.I hav checked all the link properties several times but it all are same in either case (be it visible or not). I wanted to share the screen shots but som problem occured in the attachment option and hence cud not do that.

@Page Checkpoint : It won't do coz the no. of links and othere properties are same for either case.

I tried every possible way, but all went into vein because no single property has different value in both cases. Can you imagine I hav even uploaded few scripts where this was needed to be checked, but without checking it to the client site.

Please suggest..........
Can you check the same by using Document Object Model (DOM).
No, By DOM also it is not possible.

Please sombody help in this regard. It is a very important part of the application and need to be automated.
This is the last suggestion from my end.

Have you checked the run time object properties? In QTP 10.0 which is stated as "Native Properties". You checked it if you yet not checked. Also can you once again try to attach the screen shot.
I have tried with the run time properties also. But it is not working.

I have attached the screen shot.

Attached Files Image(s)

I would like to confirm it again...
does it return true, when you select NO and use GetROProperty("visible") for these links?

Yes Saket. It returns true.

The funny part is when these links are not even visible and I m clicking on it (Ofcourse through QTP), page navigates to correct destination.

Now, I want to know whether it is a defect in the development part of the application? I have gone through the Source code of the page for both the cases. There I found something like as follows:

For "Were Nonconformances found" dropdown, they hav called a VBscript function [OnChange()],and they hav checked the current value of the dropdown. If it is "Yes" they hav attached a StyleSheet(Some CSS stuff), and if "No" then they hav removed the same one.

Thats why for both the cases, all the elements are present in the page, but according to the selection made, it is getting attached or getting removed to/from the screen.

Hope I hav made myself clear.......
my doubt was right, those links are made invisible using stylesheet,yes it is from developement side only. what you can do is take the view source with both the option with Yes and one with No and then compare the changes in style for the link object.
possible way for identification could be by checking the class, style, type etc..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weblist selection diya 11 20,497 06-16-2015, 08:27 PM
Last Post: rajpradeep32
  Issue related to dropdown selection(Please help urgent) excellentpawan123 2 4,031 05-31-2014, 12:00 PM
Last Post: excellentpawan123
  How to check empty fields? ripchin 1 3,248 05-10-2014, 01:18 PM
Last Post: Ankur
  How to mask the particular read only mode fields while capturing screenshot in QTP kalaivanan123 2 3,343 03-18-2014, 11:31 AM
Last Post: basanth27
  Payment details fields are getting flushed vimalkamothi 4 3,075 01-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Last Post: vinod123