Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
File Structure in QTP
Solved: 10 Years, 7 Months, 3 Weeks ago Wink 
Hi to all QTP gurus,

I am new to QTP and I truly appreciate for the responses and time you spent on replying

1. What is File structure in QTP ?

2. Why is File structure is used ?

3. Please explain with one real time scenario ?

4. File system vs Folder Structure ?
Solved: 10 Years, 7 Months, 3 Weeks ago
Hi,

1) I guess its like the way QTP store the scripts and other resources. [as far as i know Smile]
2) File structure is used to retrieve the data/document from the file.
3) For example if u have to work with excel application,
you have to know the DOM/ file system of the Excel application.
first u need to create the object for the application then u have to navigate from workbook and worksheet to get the data from the particular cell.

Code:
set xl = createObject(Excel.Appliction)
set wbook = xl.workbooks.Open ("<file path>","permission")
set wsheet = wbook.wsheet(1)

val = wsheet.cells(1,1).value

this will retrieve the the value from the first cell of the 1 sheet of the excel file.

4) File system is nothing but the way to store the data in file it varies with the application and the operation system.
and the folder structure is the hierarchic of the folders.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Victor~
1. folder structure qtp

in order to make easy to maintain the qtp scripts the folder structure is defined
a) Object Repository
b) Environment
c) Library
d) Test Data
e) Test Log
f) Recovery Scenarios
g) Miscellaneous
Hi Vinod,
I guess you have given the folder structure for the automation framework..

correct me if i m wrong ..
Victor~
Even i think the answer given by Vinod was a file structure of a framework only, and not for general file structure of QTP.
Hi ,

Qtp stores everything in in the local Hard drive of the system and i think the the question is related to that folder structure.
Script .mts File
An Excel sheet .xls
Resource.mtr
Action0
Action1
For every action Local object repository .bdb File etc...
The QuickTest Professional (QTP) test file structure is as follows:

<TestName> Folder
|
|-- default.cfg - MDRV configuration file; it is needed only for LoadRunner/BAC execution, not for QTP
|-- default.usp - MDRV run-logic; it is needed only for LoadRunner/BAC execution, not for QTP
|-- <TestName>.usr - Main storage for MDRV execution; it is needed only for LoadRunner/BAC execution, not for QTP
|-- Default.xls - Default DataTable
|-- lock.lck - Test lock file (removed when Test is closed)
|-- Parameters.mtr - Parameterization information
|-- Test.tsp - Main document storage (settings) of the Test
|
|-- Action<i> Folder
|
|-- ObjectRepository.bdb - The Local Action repository DB file
|-- Resource.mtr - Main document storage of the Action
|-- Script.mts - Action script
|
|-- SnapShots Folder - Contains Active Screen snapshot files

The following files, if they exist, are obsolete and not created by QuickTest Professional (QTP) 9.0 or above. If you see them, the test was probably originally created by an older version of QTP:

default.prm - MDRV DataTable. In QTP 8.2 the Data Table was duplicated in this file for MDRV. It is not needed for QTP operation.
thick_usr.dat and thin_usr.dat - These files are obsolete. They were included from the Astra LoadTest product and were used by MDRV only. They are not needed for QTP.

Important Note:

To ensure that QuickTest Professional (QTP) properly recognize the test folder, the folder structure should remain as listed above. QTP may not open or use the test as expected if files are removed from the structure. If you wish to remove files, verify that QTP will open and execute the test before permanently deleting any files.

This file structure may vary slightly when using Save Test with Resources… functionality available in QTP version 10 when looking into the reusable actions folders.