Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAP and QTP
Solved: 10 Years, 9 Months ago
Hi,

I am new to both SAP and QTP. I have a customer requirement to automate his manual test cases in SAP using QTP. The application is all about testing vendor master, customer master, invoicings, Accounts payable, accounts receivables, Fixed assets etc.. Please tell me the best approach to use while using QTP to write test scripts for the manual test cases related to above said features.
Best Approach ,

1. Learn about the test cases. See what percentage you can automate and how helpful it can be.
2. Read about framework. See which framework would suit your project.
3. Build a Framework.
4. Start your Design of Test Scripts.

The question you have specified is very generic. Something like, how to fish in a ocean. Start your course and if you encounter issues on the way let us know and we are more than happy to help.
Basanth
Give a fish to a man and you feed him for a day..Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life.
Thanks Basanth for the reply. I understand your doubt about my question. I would like to be specific now. I have a test case which says "1. Start a transaction using code FB03. 2. Complete the fields like name etc. 3. Click on document list and select document Type. 5. Click on icon with clock and green checkmark." This completes one transaction.

I want to know whether just record and run approach is just good enough or I can put something more good inside automating the above said case?
Industry wise Record and playback have been misunderstood to be a easier way. I consider it as a good approach to learn the tool's interaction with the AUT. But a mere record and playback will ensure difficult maintenance, code coverage, verification and multi million issues. You can try with one script, analyse it and see what variations you can do, then you will easily learn the difficulties of record and playback.

It is always good to script and then make them better as you learn more.
Basanth
Give a fish to a man and you feed him for a day..Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Automating SAP portal using QTP/BPT QTPUser@work 2 4,734 12-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Last Post: QTPUser@work
  Using QTP 9.5 and later for SAP BW 7.0 mofi 3 4,302 12-07-2012, 02:24 AM
Last Post: chowdarynaresh111
  Run time errors in SAP when QTP running dverlaque 3 5,263 07-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Ankesh
  SAP Server Busy Error - QTP Ankesh 2 6,575 05-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Ankesh
  SAP GUI Session closig after QTP opens. nrajutest 0 3,545 09-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Last Post: nrajutest