Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Unable Allocate the Memory
Solved: 10 Years, 8 Months, 3 Weeks ago
Hi , we are running our application more than 15H. observed that after every time the QTPro.exe memory usage going Up ..after 15H we are getting a popup message that "Unable Allocate Memory". Could you please any one suggest that how to solve this problem ?

Jyothi,
This requires you to debug. Well, first question would be, are you loading Repositories through the AOM ?
Basanth
Give a fish to a man and you feed him for a day..Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life.
We have run into this quite a number of times. We have a support contract with a 3rd party (not HP) and they had several recommendations for us:

1) If you create objects in your script (Description objects are one example), be sure to set the object variable to null when you're doing with it. HP blames this on the debugging software from Microsoft that they use.

2) QTP has memory leaks in general. When running test sets from Quality Center, there is a setting that lets you restart QTP after a specified number of tests. We have that set to 3 right now. This closes QTP and re-opens it, which cleans up any memory leaks.

3) I use "Run from Step" a lot and I use the debugger a lot. The debugger has memory leaks, so we save our scripts often when we're editing them (like after every significant change).

4) turn off screen capture ("save movie to results") if you don't need it. We use it when we run test sets via QC, but only when necessary when developing scripts from our own machines. Since we have QC restart QTP after every 3 test runs, it isn't a problem for our unattended runs.

It seems like as soon as I start using the debugger a lot and doing "Run from Step" often, I can can go for about 15 or 20 minutes, then I risk getting an "out of memory" error.

This has been my experience so far. Perhaps others will come up with some other answers & suggestions too.
HI ,

What is AOM?
Automation Object Model. Used to programatically launch and work with QTP. It is the internal object structure of QTP.
Basanth
Give a fish to a man and you feed him for a day..Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life.
HI ,

Yes we are using VB scripts to launch the QTP.
Jyothi -
tdevick has pointed out some excellent points to overcome the issue,although it is not a solution but few steps with which you can minimize the memory leaks.

Like i said, you will have to debug the issue to a larger extent as to what exactly is causing the issue, It could be the objects or excessive object creation loading the memory and the worst is that QTP comes with memory leak issues.

We use a framework which is completely built on .vbs files and the web objects are created through dictionary objects. We have overnight execution and i havent actually come across any memory leaks so far.

However on the other project, when my friends complained of memory leaks, we spent sometime to see what we could do and unable to find any reasonable bug, we decided to net the bug by using a workaround where we actually would close QTP and any other process pertaining to vbs and then start QTP back again and load the vbs files once again. We chose an interval of every 3 hours where it would free up the memory and then start everything afresh. It worked for us.

However, this is just a workaround and not a solution for the issue. In my view, 15 hours of execution for a QTP tool which is infected with memory leaks and multiple vbs being loaded, i guess you must look for any workaround.

Does this help?
Basanth
Thanks a lot Basanth and tdevick
for your valuable inputs to me..Really it helps me a lot..