Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Using Regular Expressions
Solved: 10 Years, 9 Months ago
Hi

I have started this new thread on this subject as my previous thread did not clarify me.

Example1:

I start to record a business process using QTP, Open http://www.hotmail.com, Sign in using my user ID and password. Click on Inbox(6), Read one mail and Sign-out. Now the Inbox link after reading one mail will become Inbox(5). Now on play back the test will fail as the test will search for Inbox(6).

I would like to know how to assign a regular expression in the object repository for the above case. Exact syntax would be of great help .

Example 2:

This is the flight application that comes with QTP

I attached a .jpeg image in this thread. In the attachment you can Find the window titled Fax order no.29. How do I insert a regular expression to this Fax order title so that the playback can handle any number. I tried with few syntax but object not found errors are occurring while running the script

Any help please??

Regards
Srinivas
Please help me on the above thread. Your help is highly appreciated
Hi,
Locate the Inbox(5) object in the object repository and select the name property and then click on <hash> then you get value configuration options select Regular Expression option.

Hope this solves your problem..
You can use in the Object Repositiory something like below:
Inbox(6) will be in your obj rep. Change it to Inbox.* using the regular expression format. So whatever comes after Inbox, QTP will not care. It will look only for Inbox

Thanks
the best way for this is you can change the Object REpository to Regular Expressions with the format

Inbox(\d*)
Follow these steps
1. Open OR
2. Select the Fax Order No
3. In Test object details select the text value
4. Open the Value configuration options
5. Change the value [0-9]
change only numeric value
if fax order no is two digit no then write [0-9][0-9]
6. Check on Regular expression check box
7. Click No

Run your script

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey All,

This is all good stuff. I was wondering about the difference between your solution of:
Inbox(\d*)

and the solution of the previous thread of:

Inbox.*

What are the benefits and drawbacks of each of these very similar solutions?

Thanks,
Brian
The difference would be:

Inbox(/d*) -- /d* means "digits"...0-9 and any length "*"
Inbox* -- anything after "Inbox" alpha, numeric, or special chars and any length
Thanks for the reply. Does the Inbox(\d*) speed up the execution of the statement in the script at all?
So if you have say 1000 of these expressions and you are more specific in regards to what the following character can be (digits, character) (\d*) rather than just .* does that help optimize your scripts? Or does QTP not really care?
To the best of my knowledge one does not process any faster/slower than the other. the only difference would be in the pass/fail with what is allowed after "Inbox".

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
At Regular Expressions for e-mail address ganesh.dengale 6 18,517 08-23-2022, 02:51 PM
Last Post: ahmad3029
  How to disable regular expressions in a text? ttralor 6 6,167 07-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Staff
  Need help on using regular expressions on Java Window's title qa_tester 3 4,828 02-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Last Post: madsenfr
  java window titles & regular expressions jotdog2 1 4,036 02-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Last Post: madsenfr
  Process to use Regular Expressions in QTP using screen shots. yvslraotesting@gmail.com 1 3,314 01-31-2012, 12:45 PM
Last Post: basanth27