Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
closing a process using QTP
Solved: 10 Years, 8 Months, 3 Weeks ago
Hi all,

1)I want to check a process in task manager and close the application if the process is running.

2)I open explorer and am able to check the explorer.exe is running in the task manager using QTP.

3) next I want to delete the explorer.exe from the task manager. For that purpose I wrote the code below. when I execute it , all processes in the computer is killed, only QTP remains and I have to shut down and restart the PC. can anybody suggest how to kill the .exe file from the task manager.

Code:
Set process = GetObject("winmgmts")

Set allIExplorer = process.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Process Where Name = 'iexplore.exe'")

For Each IE in allIExplorer
    IE.Terminate()
Next
I tried the same code but it is closing only process explorer...Try the below code.

Code:
'Get the WMI object
Set WMI = GetObject("winmgmts:\\")

'Get collection of processes for with name iexplore.exe
Set allIE = WMI.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Process Where Name = 'iexplore.exe'")

'Loop through each process and terminate it
For Each IE in allIE
    IE.Terminate()
Next
@sunny rao: There is a huge difference between explorer.exe and iexplore.exe. While the former refers to Windows explorer the latter is for Intenet Explorer and I believe it is the one you want to kill.

Never try to kill the explorer.exe which will for obvious reasons bring your system to stand still.

This code should work fine:
Code:
Set process = GetObject("winmgmts:\\")

Set allIExplorer = process.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Process Where Name = 'iexplore.exe'")

For Each IE in allIExplorer
IE.Terminate()
Next
Want to fast track your QTP/UFT Learning? Join our UFT Training Course

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Control to spawned process DomG 1 1,010 07-03-2020, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Ankur
  Killing the windows process using QTP Script. nagaraj_kv 4 18,870 05-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Ankesh
  QTP Business Process Testing vijaya2009 1 4,751 01-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Last Post: nileshpatil70
Smile Need Some Info - on Automation process Nageshearaiah 0 2,176 06-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Nageshearaiah
  Killing the windows process using QTP Script. nagaraj_kv 0 2,432 06-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Last Post: nagaraj_kv