Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arranging different tests into one test
Solved: 10 Years, 9 Months, 2 Weeks ago
Hello,

I have done some minor tests with QTP in the last weeks, so I am rather new to QTP. I will start working on a greater project soon.
Before starting with that, I should know how to best arrange different tests into one.

The background:
I have an application A which gets inputs from other systems like maybe SAP. So I first create some data with SAP, the application A gets this data and works with it.
Now I need to create a test, which at first inputs data into SAP and thereby creates testdata for the second system. After that the result from the second application A should be verified.

The problem is, that between submitting data into SAP and getting the results from the other application there might be a delay of about 30 minutes.
Therefore I would like to start submitting further data into SAP and when all data is inputted the verification of the second system should start.

I tried to get this done by having the two tests in two different Actions, which will be executed each with all testdata at first and then start the next Action. But the problem here is, that in the test-result there is no real dependency between the first (SAP) and the second test (verification of system A).

The question is now:
Is there a way to pause a test and start with the next test-data-set before continuing the test with the next step. The important thing would be to have a dependency between the steps and see when e.g. the system A failed within test-iteration 10, if the failure already was in the SAP-run.

I hope you understand my problem and have some good suggestions. Despite this forum seems to be quite new, you guys seem to post very actively. Thank you for answers in advance. :-)
I thought it might help to give you a better understanding of what I'm trying to do:

I need to test 2 applications: SAP and X
The test should be in the order:

"Test SAP with data1" --> "Test X with data produced by SAP with data1"

After this iteration, the next iteration follows:

"Test SAP with data2" --> "Test X with data produced by SAP with data2"

Now, as there is a delay between the SAP and X-test, I would like to let the test sleep after being done with SAP and wait for all SAP-tests to be executed first. Afterwards the X-tests should start:

"Test SAP with data1" --> wait for other SAP-tests to be ready
"Test SAP with data2" --> wait...

All SAP-tests ready
--> "Test X with SAP-result1"
--> "Test X with SAP-result2"

I tried to split the test in 2 tests (SAP and X) and have them executed seperately, but this had the effect of not showing a dependency of the status of "Test X with data1" and "SAP with data1".

The result just showed that the SAP-test failed and seperately showed that the X-test failed... but not that X-test1 failed because SAP test1 had an error...

I hope my point is somehow clearer now, and I hope somebody has a solution for this. :-)
If I get your question right, here are my suggestions for you:

1) Make different reusable action for SAP test and X test.
2) Run your SAP test(s).
3) Now the run time sheet(output) of SAP should serve as the input sheet for X.
4) Do some scripting here--as per your case-- which should verify whether the incoming data from sheet of SAP is correct or not.
Want to fast track your QTP/UFT Learning? Join our UFT Training Course

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [UFT] Fixed web tests with dynamic parts jdd 3 2,446 04-05-2016, 02:56 PM
Last Post: vinod123
  Run Button is not available in QTP 11 - while running tests from QC 11 Kannan R 0 1,767 08-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Kannan R
  cannot open QTP tests learnasugo 8 8,758 10-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Ankesh
Exclamation Running the tests in Firefox dol_fin 3 7,789 03-01-2012, 11:35 PM
Last Post: inborntester
  How to pass values between different tests in QTP vijaya.t 6 16,093 01-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Last Post: mrajeshtnl