Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can QTP test the overall turnaround time?
Solved: 10 Years, 9 Months, 1 Week ago
Hi,

I would like to ask if QTP can test/capture the overall turnaround time of one process? For instance: How long will it take (loading time) to
- click a links/buttons
- shift from one menu/tab
- save data
- retrieve data from database (database checkpoint and output values)
- searching for a specific data in the application
- etc...
Or if you have any other scenarios, please free to share it with me.

Thank you very much in advance! Smile
Armie
Yes. But wouldnt be as efficient as any Performance tool.
Basanth
Give a fish to a man and you feed him for a day..Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life.
Hi Basanth,

Yes, you're correct. Thanks! Can you help me identify what steps/scripts to do to perform this kind of testing? I already change some options in Tools > Options..

Thanks in advance! Smile
This indeed is a herculean task. It takes some time and effort to first finalize the most basic situations you want to verify. There are several other components which get added up when you try to obtain the time given. For eg : syncronization time, QTP loading the required files if any, response from the server related to the application etc etc.

What you can do here is, do a very simple and basic try catch which should be like,

starttime= timer
do whatever you want to..
Endtime = timer

So a difference should give you the time taken. Now this is the most basic one. There is something called Transactions in QTP. you can begin transactions and end transactions. See if you can get the time from there. QTP 10.0 has a performance monitor. Not very accurate but average enough to show the management you got something here.

Also, would you give me one single case for which you want to find the time taken ? Please paste the code..it makes my life easier to understand Smile
Basanth
Give a fish to a man and you feed him for a day..Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life.
oh sorry..i only have the qtp scrpts...
Here's the case:
I have an employee record with personal info but with no Address info yet. Now, i added the address info, saved and stored in the database thru QTP. In QTP, i inserted a database output value step (then displayed in data table - global sheet).
I want to determine the time "from the point of invoking the db output value step to the point of retrieving the data (form the db) and displaying it in the data table."

scripts from qtp:
Code:
Browser("Pension 2010").Page("Pension 2010_2").WebElement("WebTable").Click
Browser("Pension 2010").Page("Pension 2010_2").Link("Add").Click
Browser("Pension 2010").Page("Pension 2010_2").WebEdit("_ctl5:S_PERSON_ADDRESS:dgSPersonAdd").Click
Browser("Pension 2010").Page("Pension 2010_2").WebEdit("_ctl5:S_PERSON_ADDRESS:dgSPersonAdd").Set "222220003"
Browser("Pension 2010").Page("Pension 2010_2").WebList("_ctl5:S_PERSON_ADDRESS:dgSPersonAdd").Select "Home"
Browser("Pension 2010").Page("Pension 2010_2").WebEdit("_ctl5:S_PERSON_ADDRESS:dgSPersonAdd_2").Set "2010 QA DRIVES"
Browser("Pension 2010").Page("Pension 2010_2").WebEdit("_ctl5:S_PERSON_ADDRESS:dgSPersonAdd_3").Set "LEXINGTON"
Browser("Pension 2010").Page("Pension 2010_2").WebEdit("_ctl5:S_PERSON_ADDRESS:dgSPersonAdd_4").Set "NC"
Browser("Pension 2010").Page("Pension 2010_2").WebEdit("_ctl5:S_PERSON_ADDRESS:dgSPersonAdd_5").Set "27295"
Browser("Pension 2010").Page("Pension 2010_2").WebList("_ctl5:S_PERSON_ADDRESS:dgSPersonAdd_2").Click
Browser("Pension 2010").Page("Pension 2010_2").WebList("_ctl5:S_PERSON_ADDRESS:dgSPersonAdd_2").Select "United States"
Browser("Pension 2010").Page("Pension 2010_2").WebList("_ctl5:S_PERSON_ADDRESS:dgSPersonAdd_3").Select "Update/Insert"
Browser("Pension 2010").Page("Pension 2010_2").Link("Save").Click
DbTable("DbTable_5").Output CheckPoint("DbTable_2")

Thanks!
Did you try what i suggested with the timer function ?
Basanth

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  JavaDialog change every time i run my test Pkapoor 3 2,785 06-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Ankur
  QTP Real-time Test Script for sap application kamal262007 1 3,322 10-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Ankesh
Toungue QTP Test Parameters scope in QC Test Set bfakruddin 0 2,013 02-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Last Post: bfakruddin
  Test case run time differs-Why? Uma 4 3,788 10-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Uma
  How much time will it take for QTP to Execute 10 test cases . siri 5 9,818 09-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Last Post: test