Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make scripts sync with application
Solved: 10 Years, 9 Months ago
sreekanth,

Really good information. Thanks for sending.

But question is, is it works for Descriptive Programming?

Regards
Raj
Yes you can use it since it compares the run time property with the property declared.

for example:
Code:
Set brow=description.Create
brow("name").value="DevGuru VBScript Object: File"
Set page1=description.Create
page1("title").value="DevGuru VBScript Object: File"
Set webel=description.Create
webel("innertext").value="OBJECT:  File "
webel("outertext").value="OBJECT:  File "

h=browser(brow).Page(page1).WebElement(webel).WaitProperty ("visible",1)
'The following example uses the WaitProperty method to make the

'test wait until the Next object is enabled, or for

'5 seconds (5000 milliseconds) to pass. If the object is enabled before

'4 seconds pass, QuickTest clicks the object.

Code:
If QOALogin.WebButton("name:=Next","html id:=NEXT").WaitProperty("Enabled", True, 5000) =

False Then
    End If
QOALogin.WebButton("name:=Next","html id:=NEXT").Click

-----------------

This is some modification i did and it is working fine. I can say that it is same as "Sync" statement. But Sync is not usefull for DP, above one is good statement for replacement if "Sync". More over WaitProperty is useful even for record and play also.

Thank you very much to Ankur and sreekanth for providing the info and helping in solving the issue

Regards
Raj
Good that you got the solution... but still I am not convinced why you should go for DP? Whatever you have suggested above makes me more and more inclined to go with normal record-playback method.

You wrote there will be some changes in 20 pages, if that is the case,(In case of DP)you have to go in ALL your reusable actions to change/add one particular property or value. On the other hand, if you have done this through normal recording you can just go to Object Repository. Change the particular object property and it will be reflected everywhere that particular object is used. Moreover QTP also provides update mode to record changes.

Try avoid using DP, it will make your execution slow also.
Want to fast track your QTP/UFT Learning? Join our UFT Training Course
Hi Ankur,

I worndered by ur comment as try to avoid using DP. As per my knowledge most of the projects and companies are preffering to use DP in automation rather then Record and play back(since it is old technic). And i got some information on y we need to go for DP and what is the advantages over normal record and play. pls read the below info and reply with ur comment, so that i can get clear understand.

Below are some of the situations when Descriptive Programming can be considered useful:
1. The objects in the application are dynamic in nature and need special handling to identify the object. The best example would be of clicking a link which changes according to the user of the application, Ex. “Logout <<UserName>>”.
2. When object repository is getting huge due to the no. of objects being added. If the size of Object repository increases too much then it decreases the performance of QTP while recognizing a object.
3. When you don’t want to use object repository at all. Well the first question would be why not Object repository? Consider the following scenario which would help understand why not Object repository

Scenario 1: Suppose we have a web application that has not been developed yet. Now QTP for recording the script and adding the objects to repository needs the application to be up, that would mean waiting for the application to be deployed before we can start of with making QTP scripts. But if we know the descriptions of the objects that will be created then we can still start off with the script writing for testing

Scenario 2: Suppose an application has 3 navigation buttons on each and every page. Let the buttons be “Cancel”, “Back” and “Next”. Now recording action on these buttons would add 3 objects per page in the repository. For a 10 page flow this would mean 30 objects which could have been represented just by using 3 objects. So instead of adding these 30 objects to the repository we can just write 3 descriptions for the object and use it on any page.

4. Modification to a test case is needed but the Object repository for the same is Read only or in shared mode i.e. changes may affect other scripts as well.
5. When you want to take action on similar type of object i.e. suppose we have 20 textboxes on the page and there names are in the form txt_1, txt_2, txt_3 and so on. Now adding all 20 the Object repository would not be a good programming approach.

Regards
Raj
Sorry for confusion,
WaitProperty("disabled", 0) is not the solution for my Question, this is works only for some time. If the page taking 30 sec then it works fine. But in my application if we select some values from a drop down it get refresh and takes 1 min 40 sec to desplay values in its below drop down.

can any one solve my issue?

Regards
Raj
As per my knowledge most of the projects and companies are preffering to use DP in automation rather then Record and play back

I think making a generic statement like above would not solve purpose because any technology (in any organization) is used on case to case basis, what can work for some company might not work for you and vice versa.

(since it is old technic)
I am not sure what you mean by old technique.

Personally, one place where I have found DP to be extremely useful is while creating external library functions.

As far as points you have written above, they are already mentioned in my post on DP... https://www.learnqtp.com/descriptive-pro...implified/
Want to fast track your QTP/UFT Learning? Join our UFT Training Course
Yes Ankur,

You r correct, it is not possible to make statement generic.it depends on company and project requirement. As of now i have 2 years of exp in automation, wherever go i found that PM or TL thinks that automation means DP and scripting. I too prefer Programming(not DP), but bcz of the PM and TL openion i thought that DP is not valuable then play and recording.

Yes the points i have mention is copied from ur link only.

Regards
Raj

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to make QTP Script to work when system gets locked? ramkumarad 6 11,883 11-02-2017, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Divv
Question Cross Browser Sync Not Working geodude 0 1,848 04-07-2017, 08:43 AM
Last Post: geodude
  How to use sync function 22sumit 2 3,204 06-16-2015, 06:27 PM
Last Post: 22sumit
  Local script to make compatible with QC automation2012 1 2,148 01-28-2015, 02:11 PM
Last Post: automation2012
  Need Excel template for mapping manual scripts to Automation scripts. ACCBAJPA 0 2,830 09-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ACCBAJPA