Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Local and Shared Object Repositiories - Should a Test Have Both?
Solved: 10 Years, 9 Months ago
Hi,

I'm new to QTP and would like to know if my test should have both a local and a shared object repository. I want the shared object repository but it seems having the local also is redundant, isn't it?

Thanks,
Brian
A test should not have both the repositories at the same time. You should use either local or shared repository. Use shared repository by associating them Resources > Associate Repositories. all the objects will come to your local repository. In case you want to create your shared repository, add them in local OR then you can export them to create a shared OR, you can do this by OR Manager also.

hope this is clear to you now, let me know if you have any query.

Hi Saket,

Thanks for your informative replies.

So, then I believe the local repositories are created automatically while recording, right? So, after creating a shared object repository, do I go and delete the local object repositories? Or do I merge them or do I somehow prevent the local object repositories from being created?

Thanks,
Brian
Vikas -
Export is what you need to do and maybe delete it after that. Merge may show you several conflicts as you move ahead with more and more tests. When you record the objects are by default stored in the Local Repository if you are using QTP 9.2 and above.
Basanth
Give a fish to a man and you feed him for a day..Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Updating Shared repository vinod_3466 3 4,235 06-29-2016, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Ankesh
  Local System Monitor kbhargava505 0 2,418 10-16-2015, 12:52 PM
Last Post: kbhargava505
  QTP 11 - CreateFolder fails to create folder in shared network drive from Windows 7 Pallavi 3 3,393 02-25-2014, 02:04 PM
Last Post: guin.anirban
  How to Create and use local repository Sourabh146 2 2,373 01-28-2014, 10:56 PM
Last Post: jacosta
  What is Window Test Object adityasrinivasb 0 2,006 10-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Last Post: adityasrinivasb