Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steps to start learning QTP
Solved: 10 Years, 8 Months, 3 Weeks ago
Hi,
I am a mainframe person, and my company transfered me to testing projects just two week back, still reading project docs and KT is going on, they are planning to use QTP alongwith mainframe for testing.

I searched on the net and came across this forum which is interesting and looks very good to learn QTP

can someone please guide me stepwise from which point I can start the QTP.

1. someone told me to read book.
2. someone said you need to learn VB scripts first
3. someone said I need to start practicing
4. one guy showed me how to record and play it again.

I do not have admin rights on my office machine so I can not install QTP evaluation version, but I can download it on home pc and start practicing.

Little bit confused and need guidance as where to start from pls.

Thanks in advance for your valuable guidance.
S.
When I started, I dind't know anything so I can relate.

A: If you have a manual, start reading it.
B: Download the evaluation software on your PC.
C: READ as much as you can and play with the software as much as you can before the evaluation copy expires. (Unless you have a crack)

If you do this and you put your heart into it, you can learn to write basic tests in QTP in a few weeks. If you need to do more complex operations using QTP, you will need to study VB script so that you know how to code your tests to perform complex operations. Just depends how detailed your tests need to be.

The tests i was creating for my job weren't overly complex so I learned VB as I progressed. If your job will require you to make complex tests from the start, you might want to start reading a VBscript book before you use your Evaluation copy of QTP so that whne you create your tests, you can hit the ground running.

Just depends on what you need to do with it.
Ibc_Rider,

Thank you very much. really appreciate it.

I am sure next time my post will be for some good questions and not the basic one.

Thanks.
S.
i would suggest you to install the software and really get into the GUI and learn it... and get to know which thing is where...
and then and only then go to any beginners tutorials you can find and follow them,because if you don't know much about GUI then you can't follow the tutorials well, along the way in parallel, learn VBScript, so that by the time you get to expert view and descriptive programming you would not have any problem in understanding what is actually going on there. Smile

hope it helps Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Replay Start Error Bhuvana 0 802 01-07-2020, 08:05 PM
Last Post: Bhuvana
  UFT 14.53 not able to record steps of web application rupesh doshi 3 2,544 10-10-2019, 01:50 PM
Last Post: rupesh doshi
  Where to start to learn QTP Brijendra9322 5 3,754 11-27-2014, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Brijendra9322
  Hello All -Nice forum to start learning QTP. Few questions QTP.learning 0 1,785 05-18-2014, 04:10 PM
Last Post: QTP.learning
  When Automation should be start aeronmak 1 1,930 04-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Last Post: Ankur