Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
storing QTP test resources(library functions,repositories) in Quality Center
Solved: 10 Years, 9 Months ago
Hi All,

Currently we have scripts in Quality Center. But we are not storing all the QTP resources( Functions, Reusable actions, Repositories) in Quality center. We are storing them in a server.
I think we can even store all the resources in QC itself.
So I would like to know if there are any advantages of storing Test's resources(Library functions, Reusable actions, Object repositories...) in Quality Center.(We are using QC9.2)
Also please let me know if there are any disadvantages if any...

Thanks and Regards,
Pallavi
Advantages : - One stop repository of all the automation reusable framework. You can convert test cases to QTP scripts directly from QC and from QTP with a QC connection can easily open up the resources in QC.

Disadvantage : - Performance of the test execution will be effected since if you ignite the test from QC it will have to ping back and forth between the servers to get the necessary data.
Basanth
Give a fish to a man and you feed him for a day..Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life.
basanth, when you say "You can convert test cases to QTP scripts directly from QC", do you mean there is some automatic conversion tool available to convert test cases described in QC to vbscript scripts in QTP?
No , we cant convert test cases directly into Test scripts from QC.

Infact it means we could replicate the same functionality given in test cases into the test scripts during test script development using QTP & upload the same into QC.
Sreekanth,
I am not sure of your NO, But what i meant by conversion is,

"The format of a test case can be directly converted to a QTP test script in quality center with a mere mouse click". After the conversion on your QTP tool integrate to QC and then open the test to start scripting. The Design steps are directly copied over to the script in a commented manner.

This has several advantages,

1. Automatic Fields on QC details section can be configured based on the change of TEST_TYPE.
2. Auditing is taken care by QC.
3. Filtering the tests by automated tests is easier.
4. Reporting schema improves.

Maybe something else as well...but yes, this is all it has.
Basanth
Give a fish to a man and you feed him for a day..Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life.
HI Basanth,

Infact i am not aware of this "mere click" feature in QC, by which test case can be directly converted to a QTP test script.

I would be great , if you could provide the navigation steps in doing the same with example so that the members of forum can also perceive this.
Test Plan -> Select a Test-> Design Steps -> From the toolbar click on the Boot Icon ( You will see options like VAPI-XP, System Test, QUICKTEST_TEST, WRUNNER etc )
Basanth
Thanks basanth. that was very useful
You are most Welcome !
Basanth

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Attaching QTP result to Quality Center vikas_dhir 5 19,649 01-06-2017, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Swetha_Bayya
  Calling a function in a Test Script from a function library anupam4j 3 5,894 06-26-2015, 12:31 AM
Last Post: babu123
  Storing runtime value into datasheet priyaUFTlearner 4 3,194 04-10-2015, 10:08 PM
Last Post: priyaUFTlearner
  Object repositories and libraties not pulled through in imports learnasugo 3 2,273 02-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Last Post: supputuri
  Using QTP features in Function library TurtleRock 0 1,649 01-30-2014, 06:02 PM
Last Post: TurtleRock