Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keyword-driven Methodology and Step Recording - What to do with Repositiories?
Solved: 10 Years, 9 Months ago
Hello All,

Here is my question: If I want to create test cases using the keyword-driven methodology together with step recording I’d like to know what do I do about the local object repositories that are created during the step recording. Since I already have shared object repositories for my actions, the local repositories should be deleted, right? Or do I merge them into the shared? But why merge if my shared object repositories contain all that I need? Let me state all this in another way: So, in creating a test case, I create all my resources, including my Shared Object Repositories. Then I want to record for each of my actions (step recording as it is refered to in Chapter 10 or the User’s Guide) and in doing so local repositories are created. Thus, I have both local and shared object repositories and I think that is NOT what I should have when I finish creating my test. Thus, what should I do?

Thanks,
Brian
Hi Brian,
while recording your Actions, you will have to associate your repository with action, in order to take objects from shared and not create the local repository.

Resources>Associate Repository

can you try this and let me know.

Hi Saket,

Thanks for your help.

No matter what I try I always end up with a local repository once I create an Action.

What I do is suggested in the User's Guide - that is I open a new test and save. After that I create the empty Actions for the test. At that time each Action is created and automatically each has a Local Object Repository. I then go about trying to create Shared Object Repositories and end up with both. So, having both is not correct. So, what do I do with the Local Object Repositories? Delete them? How? Merge them? How?

I have run into another related problem and that is my Shared Object Repositories are Read-Only. What's up with that?

Thanks for your help!

Brian
Sorry, I just figured out the answer to my second question - the one about why my OR was always Read-Only - I just needed to click on: File>Enable Editing.
Just to sum up, I have two questions:

First question: What do I do with the empty Local Object Repositories? Do I just leave them there or delete them or do I somehow do something to ensure that they don't get created when I create my Actions?

Second question: How do I get my Active Screens to appear in a test that I built from scratch and not through recording. Yes, I do have the "Save still image captures to results" checkbox checked, but I do not see my Active Screens in the Active Screen display on the QTP UI.

Thanks,
Brian
Smile Hi Saket,

Well, again I figured out the solution for my second question - just simply Automation > Update Run Mode and select just the "Update Active Screen images and values."

Brian
Hi Brian,

For your first question what I can suggest that, create/update your shared repository first and associate the shared repository with the actions before start recording your actions.
So when you are recording your actions object should be taken from the associated repository rather creating new.
You should create shared repository through 'Resources > Object Repository Manager'
Click on new and add objects into it and save.
To update the shared repository, open the shared repostory in repository manager and add the objects you need to update.
whie opening the shared repository, Check Off "Open in read-only mode" at open dialog pop-up. this will allow you open the repository in read/write mode.

hope this helps

Brian -
If you are recording then objects will move into the Local Repository. Here you have 2 choices,

1.Export those to a Shared OR and delete the objects.
2. Leave the objects per test ( not Advisable )

IF you store the objects first in the Shared OR and then record this will lead to duplication of your work. So, Record and then export those objects from the local repository. On the user guide you will find a section called "Export local objects".

As you create more tests, Exporting will cause duplication of objects. You then either overwrite it or decide based on your requirement.

Once you are done with exporting delete the objects from the local repository. This will help you to maintain execution time and the un-necessary congestion of objects.
Basanth
Give a fish to a man and you feed him for a day..Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life.
Hi and thanks to both of you, but I think I have not done an adequate job in describing what's going on. Let me try to clarify.

If I make a brand new test there is an Action created. Apparently if you make a new test there is automatically created the first Action. Now with this Action is associated a Local Object Repository. Furthermore, whenever you add another Action there is automatically created an associated Local Object Repository.

I am under the impression that you DO NOT want both a Local and a Shared Object Repository. So, if I create and use a Shared Object Repository, how do I get rid of the automatically created Local Object Repository? Or do I leave it there in its empty state?

Thanks,
Brian
Hi,

I'm now trying to get my checkpoints into my Shared Object Repository. The manual states that I can copy these or manually move them but does not give any more information as to how to do this. The manual states:

The Object Repository Merge Tool does not merge checkpoint or output objects from the primary and secondary object repositories into the target shared object repository. You can copy or manually move these objects to your target object repository after you complete the merge process, using the Object Repository Manager.

The Object Repository Merge Tool does not merge checkpoint or output objects from a local object repository into the target shared object repository. You can export checkpoint or output objects from a local object repository to a shared object repository and then manually move the checkpoint and output objects from the exported object repository to your target object repository after you complete the merge process, using the Object Repository Manager.

I have even tried the method of exporting the Checkpoints and that was successful but now how do I "manually move" these checkpoints into my Shared Object Repository?

Thanks,
Brian
At any point you cannot dissasociate a Local Repository. Just leave it in it's empty state.
Basanth
Give a fish to a man and you feed him for a day..Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  QTP does not record the first step of open filight reservation application. Blossoms 9 17,319 07-20-2015, 05:50 PM
Last Post: AJAJ
  Data Driven Concept s.tambi 1 2,816 04-23-2015, 03:00 PM
Last Post: s.tambi
  Need an Excel Driven web Program - Ready to Pay as well mayajain 0 1,710 04-22-2015, 05:21 PM
Last Post: mayajain
  step by step report shipu 0 2,053 08-06-2014, 02:21 AM
Last Post: shipu
  which is the final step of automation in QTP? Ramadas 6 3,511 10-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Sathiya