Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not able to select controls using Object Spy
Not Solved
Hello All,

I'm very new to QTP and automation and so please bear with me. I downloaded QTP 11.0 version and was going through the steps given in the help. While working on test objects, it is mentioned that when the little pointed finger is clicked and assuming that http://newtours.demoaut.com is already open, it would let us select the controls on the page, when we move the cursor on the page. When I did move my cursor on the page, I see winobject, wintoolbar being selected covering the entire page or toolbar, but not the individual controls on 'em. In the document it is also mentioned that when username text field is selected, it shows webedit in the object hierarchy but as mentioned, it is showing winobject to me. Is there any settings change needed to have the individual controls be selected. Please advice.

Thanks
RG

Attached Files Image(s)

Not Solved
hi

Just refresh ur browser and restart ur QTP. It will works fine. I too faced this problem, after restart my QTP it works fine. Try it and let me know ur feedback.

Cheers,
Preethu.
Not Solved
Hi Preethu,

I did refreshed the browser and restarted the QTP, but the problem remains same. One thing which I observed here is when I move the cursor over the browser, the cursor is always pointed finger mode, just like we see it over hypernlinks. It would not change even though we move over the controls on the page. Also, the entire page is selected, when I move over the page. If I click on any control or any place on the page, it is showing as Internet Explorer_server in Object Hierarchy.

Any advice.
Not Solved
Hi,

Make sure you have opened QTP first and then the Browser.

That being said, close all the opened browsers, close QTP, restart QTP and then open your application.

Now it should work fine (If Web Add-ins is installed properly and associated with the test which is default)
Not Solved
Check if 'Web' Add-in is selected or not (check under Help->About QTP). Actually, from ur description, it shows, QTP is taking objects as windows objects, instead of web objects.
I tried opening the URL u mentioned, and QTP is recognizing username text field as webEdit correctly, along with the object hierarchy.
Not Solved
Your guess about windows object seems to be correct. On mouse over, it is not selecting any web objects. So, I assume that there must be some settings in the tool, where we can enable this. Any idea on how to do this. I have been struggling to get this work and unfortunately, I do not have any body around aware of this tool, so that I can show them what is going on. I wish this forum has some kind desktop sharing Big Grin

Thanks
RG
Not Solved
Hi RGummadidala,

As pallavi said, first check if 'Web' Add-in is selected or not.Than go to "Automation -> Record & Run Setting -> Record & Run Test on any open browser".

Please reply if it don't work.

Smile
Not Solved
Hi Saini,

I did all the steps recommended in this thread so far Sad

Thanks
RG
Not Solved
Hello All,

Does anybody have any suggestion here for my issue. I have already lost 20 days of the trial period, and I have not progressed a bit so far. I did all the suggestions found in this forum and other sites. Not sure what is going wrong and if any default settings need to be changed. Apparently on mouse movement, the individual objects of the webpage are not being selected. Instead the entire browser is selected and showing as WinObject-Internet Explorer_server..... Please help. I have attached a screenshot of my problem towards the beginning of this thread.
Not Solved
Hi,

Which version of IE are you using?

Did you open QTP first and then the application?

Also, try below step

Launch QTP as an Administrator ie., right click on QTPro.exe as run it as an administrator.

Thanks
Vinod

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  object spy not recognizing object.. pleaseeeee help Sonia Sadeque 3 3,164 12-22-2016, 02:42 PM
Last Post: ishan.mahajan@adp.com
  Object Spy window is not getting hidden Neetha 2 2,775 08-28-2015, 01:27 PM
Last Post: balak89
  Object Spy not detecting items in C ICL AndyBSG 5 3,986 11-28-2014, 09:32 PM
Last Post: AndyBSG
  QTP for Telerik Rad Controls AkhilaV 3 7,105 09-29-2014, 07:18 PM
Last Post: Pradeebha
  Webobjects are not identified by Spy in QTP 10 in IE8 Aakash142 1 2,242 02-18-2014, 01:19 AM
Last Post: supputuri