Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QTP and Excel - Performance
Not Solved
Hi Folks,

I have built an automatical test with QTP that retrieves values in a excel file (on one line), checks those values in a web application and reports the results (OK/KO) into the processed excel line. The excel file is processed line by line.

I can see how fast the programm is running by observing how fast the excel line are fulfilled from top to bottom.

The strange thing is that i've observed that when as I was clicking the horizontal scroll bar of the excel window and maintaining the click on it (not releasing the left button), QTP would update the Excel file twice as fast (at least).

Am I clear ?

Is there anybody who could explain me why clicking on the scroll bar makes QTP perform better ? Do you have any idea of how I could improve my program so that it runs as fast as if I was clicking the Excel window ? If turn my excel application to Set ...Visible=No, would it change something ?

Notes :

- in QTP script my excel file is opened that way :
-----------------------------------------------

Code:
Nom_Xls = "C:\...\TESTS QTP\INPUT\Extract_OpenCat_Offres.xls"
Set ObjExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
Set Classeur = ObjExcel.WorkBooks.open (Nom_Xls)
Set Onglet = Classeur.Worksheets("Extraction")
ObjExcel.Visible = TRUE

- The QTP script is launched by a vbs file :
-----------------------------------------

Code:
qtApp.Launch
qtApp.Visible = True
qtApp.Options.Run.RunMode = "Fast"
qtApp.Options.Run.ViewResults = True
qtApp.Open Test_path, True
Set qtTest = qtApp.Tt
qtTest.Run ' Run the test
Not Solved
I have never seen such behavior of QTP, but I would like to see, can you explain more what exactly is being done in your excel file. if possible please attach a sample excel file/screenshot for better idea.

Not Solved
Hi Saket,

Thanks for trying. I'll give you a sample of the excel processed file and a copy of the main QTP script.
The Excel file usually contains about 40.000 lines. The script is launch by a .vbs programm. In fact, it is launched about a hundred times because I had to stop and restart QTP frequently to avoid memory problems. Each time it runs, the script opens the excel file, restarts at the line where it stopped and processes the next lines before saving the excel file and stopping again.

If you have any question about the script, please ask.

I'm using Windows XP Professional 2002 SP2 + IE6

Attached Files
.doc   Problem.doc (Size: 41 KB / Downloads: 92)
.zip   sample.zip (Size: 517.43 KB / Downloads: 114)
.zip   Script.zip (Size: 6.74 KB / Downloads: 69)
Not Solved
Hi Vandembergue,
I tried this and found you are right, thanks for letting us know this interesting behavior Smile .
Not 100% sure but what I think is, in slow mode QTP uses more resources and excute step by step depending on the response from excel. when we click on excel window title/scroll bars, Windows response time increases, however when we dont click it, the response time from excel is bit lesser.
Running script in fast mode should solve your issue.

Not Solved
Hi,

The problem is that I'm already using the Fast mode. I'll go on trying and will let you know if I ever find something interesting.
However, thank you for answering so quickly and for wasting time on those problems of mine.

++

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Performance Issues Using '.Exist' AndyBSG 2 3,165 12-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Last Post: AndyBSG
  QTP Performance is very slow rajaselvan.d 0 2,681 04-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Last Post: rajaselvan.d
Question Writing performance tests using QTP 9.2? pointguard888 1 2,948 02-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Last Post: basanth27
  QTP9.2 concurrent version performance TaraNavin 3 2,803 07-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Last Post: TaraNavin
  excel macro to open QTP from excel karthik1979_us 1 10,917 11-07-2009, 02:57 AM
Last Post: geethwind