What is QTP (UFT)?
QuickTest Professional, popularly known by its acronym QTP is an automation testing tool originally from Mercury Interactive which was acquired by Hewlett Packard (HP) in 2006. QTP is primarily used for functional and regression automated testing. Using QTP, you can automate user actions on a web or client based computer application and test the same actions for different users, different data set, on various Windows operating systems and/or different browsers. Automation using QTP if planned and executed in a proper manner can save considerable time and money.
With the release of version 11.50, QTP and Service Test became part of UFT 11.50 software.
QTP is one of the most widely used automation testing tools in the market today with over 60% market share. Due to this reason, skilled QTP professionals are always in demand.
All versions of QTP/UFT comes pre-installed with a Product Availability Matrix available by the name QTP_PAM.pdf (for versions below 11.0) or UFT_PAM.pdf (for versions 11.5 or above) This is the best way to find compatibility of QTP/UFT with various Operating systems, browsers, technologies, addins etc.
HP QuickTest Professional uses VB Script as its scripting language. This is the only language that is fully supported by QTP’s IDE. VB Script supports Object Oriented Programming concepts but not polymorphism and inheritance.
- Internet Explorer 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 (with appropriate patches and service packs)
- Firefox 3.0.X, 3.5, 3.6 to v24 (with appropriate patches and service packs)
- Google Chrome till v35 (with appropriate patches and service packs)
- Safari on Mac OS (in Beta mode)
Supported Operating Systems
As of June 2015, UFT does not support Linux OS. An Enhancement Request (ER) is open for review on HP but there is no time line mentioned. If you have a valid SAID ID you can view the request here.
System Requirements for the current version (UFT 12.02)
To successfully install and run HP QuickTest Professional 12.02, your computer must meet the minimum system requirements shown below.
However, It is always recommended to have a configuration higher than the minimum requirements.
- Computer/Processor: Pentium IV or higher microprocessor (minimum 1 Ghz)
- Operating System: Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 (with a patch)
- Memory: Minimum of 1GB when no more than three add-ins are loaded simultaneously. [Additional memory is required when loading more add-ins and when using the Save movie to results option to capture movies during run sessions.]
- Color Settings: High Color (16 bit)
- Graphics Card: Graphics card with 64 MB video memory
- Free Hard Disk Space: 1 GB of free disk space for application files and folders. [You must also have an additional 120 MB of free disk space on the system disk (the disk on which the operating system is installed).]
QTP can be used to automate web based and windows based client-server applications. However, it doesn’t support all technologies by default. For an extended support, we need to load the corresponding add–in. For instance, if you were to automate an application based on Java technology, you will have to load Java add–in. [QTP Add-Ins are software provided by HP that needs to be installed on a machine where QTP is installed – to support a corresponding technology.]
Quick Test Professional comes with 3 add ins by default – ActiveX, Visual Basic and Web. All-in-all QTP supports .Net, Web, VB, Java, Oracle apps, SAP, PeopleSoft, Siebel, Stingray, Terminal Emulators (Unix, Mainframes), Power Builder, Delphi, Visual Age, Web Services, Flex (By Adobe), Shunra VE Desktop Professional for WAN emulation (By Shunra)
When you install HP Quick Test Professional, it comes with a default 30 days fully functional demo license. After the demo period, we need to purchase one of the licenses so as to continue working with the tool. There are two types of license, Seat and Concurrent License.
It’s a license that is specific to the computer on which the tool is installed i.e. if two or more people want to work on the tool then each one of them has to install the seat license on their respective machines.
This is a network based license that can be used by multiple users at the same time. This license is installed on a remote license server. Hence a particular number of users can work with the tool by connecting to the license server at the same time; the number varies based on the number of concurrent licenses purchased.
There is a sub type of concurrent license called commuter license. It is a concurrent license that works like a seat license for a given time period. The validity period is usually 180 days. Let’s assume we have configured 10 concurrent licenses and one or two members have to travel on a business trip because of which they couldn’t connect to the license server. In such instances, we can ask administrator to configure commuter license. This works like a seat license for a given time period. Thus for this specific time period, the concurrent licenses available offshore will be equal to total concurrent licenses minus commuter licenses.
Read about QTP licenses in detail
Cost of QTP
[sociallocker]The cost of a QTP license may vary by geography. In US, a seat license starts from $8000 (USD). These licenses are normally sold to organizations and not to individuals.
Certifications Available for QTP
HP has introduced an entry level certification for QTP called HP0-M47. The exam is conducted by Pearson VUE in collaboration with HP. You can take help of LearnQTP’s high quality mock papers to prepare for QTP certification.
Training on QTP
There are many options available for QTP training. HP offers classroom based trainings but the general consensus among QTP professionals is that the fee charged by them is too high and the syllabus covered is too narrow. LearnQTP has been conducting an affordable online QTP training program called QTP training OnDemand. This program was started back in 2009 and has seen many revisions since then incorporating feedback from trainees and adding content as per the needs. It is one of the most recommended and well liked QTP training programs available today. Since the program is available online, provides real world knowledge, individuals across the world join this training to enhance their skill set. Check complete details about this program here.
A Raw Example Where QTP can be Used
Let’s consider the scenario where you want to test login for a particular user. To test this scenario manually, you would generally follow these steps –
- Open web browser
- Enter the URL of the application.
- Enter user id & password and then click on “Login” button on login page.
- Verify that login is successful
Now consider a case where you have to test this login functionality many a times or you have to test the same functionality for large number of different users say a 1000 or more users. Performing this action manually is time consuming & tiresome activity. Now QTP helps you replicate your actions that you do manually such as opening the application, entering user id and password and hitting the “Login” or “Submit” button and verifying whether or not you have logged in successfully. To achieve this, you can write your code for log in scenario in QTP and run the code any number of times with a single click of a button, of course with same or different test data as required. This is a very raw example, in trained hands QTP can accomplish a lot many tasks. As of June 2015, HP Unified Functional Testing (UFT) 12.02 is the latest version available in the market.
Version history of QTP
Astra Quicktest (First version)
The first version of QTP was named Astra QuickTest and it was released by Mercury Interactive(MI) in May 1998. The starting price for the software was $3995 per copy. Source: 10k Sec filing by MI on March 29th, 2001
Astra QuickTest 3.0
Astra QuickTest 3.0 was released in Feb 2000. The software copy was priced at $2995 and it needed IE4.0 or higher to run. Source: Mike Oliveira
Astra QuickTest 5.0 (Astra QuickTest Professional 5.5)
Astra QuickTest 5.0 was released in Feb 2001. This version was able to test multimedia elements like Real Audio/Video and Macromedia Flash etc. After the addition of various patches, Astra Quicktest 5.0 was renamed Astra QuickTest Professional 5.5. This version was able to test websites to ensure they meet the requirements of Section 508, an amendment to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
QuickTest Professional 6.5
QuickTest Professional 6.5 was released in Sep 2003 and lost Astra as part of its name. The major new features added in this version were:
- Support for QuickTest Automation Object Model
- Recovery Mechanism
- XML Output Value
- XML Schema Validation
- Analog Recording
QuickTest Professional 8.0
QuickTest Professional 8.0 was released in late 2004. The major new features added in this version were:
- Unicode Support
- Keyword View
- Business Process Testing
- Action/Test Parameters
QuickTest Professional 8.2
QuickTest Professional 8.2 was released in early 2005. The major new features added in this version were:
- Patches on top of version QTP 8.0
- Ability for Auto-Documentation
- Step Generator
- Enhanced Expert View
QuickTest Professional 9.0
QuickTest Professional 9.0 was released in April 2006. This was the time when Mercury started phasing out another popular product WinRunner since the company had integrated all its capabilities in QTP. The major new features added in this version were:
- Object Repository Manager
- Object Repository Merge Tool
- Multiple Object Repositories per Action or Component
- XML Object Repository Format
- Function Library Editor
- Handling Missing Actions and Resources
QuickTest Professional 9.1/9.2
QuickTest Professional 9.2 was released in Feb 2007. During this time HP completed its acquisition of Mercury interactive(MI) which started in late 2006. The major new features added in this version were:
- Mercury Screen Recorder
- Dynamic Management of Object Repositories
QuickTest Professional 9.5
QuickTest Professional 9.5 was released in Jan 2008. The major new features added in this version were:
- Support for tabbed browsing
- Bitmap checkpoint tolerance level through UI itself
- WebAddin Extensibility
QuickTest Professional 10.0
QuickTest Professional 10.0 was released in Jan 2009. With this version QTP started providing 30 days trial instead of 14 days trial offered in the earlier versions. The major new features introduced in this version were:
- Centrally Manage and Share Testing Assets, Dependencies, and Versions in Quality Center 10.00
- Perform Single-User Local System Monitoring While Running Your Tests
- Improve Portability by Saving Copies of Tests Together with Their Resource Files
- Call Actions Dynamically During the Test Run
- Develop Your Own Bitmap Checkpoint Comparison Algorithm
- Centrally Manage Your Work Items and ToDo Tasks in the To Do Pane
- Improve Test Results Analysis with New Reporting Functionality
- Test Standard and Custom Delphi Objects Using the Delphi Add-in and Delphi Add-in Extensibility
QuickTest Professional 11.0
- XPath and CSS based object identification
- Good Looking and Enhanced Results Viewer
- Easy Regular Expressions
- Now identify objects not only in relation to each other but in relation to neighboring objects. Visual Relation Identifier
- Load Function Libraries at Run Time
- Test Your GUI and UI-Less Application Functionality in One Test
- Record Support For FireFox is now available
- QTP 11 is capable of receiving Java or .NET log framework messages from your application which can then be embedded in the run results
- Improved test data management when integrated with Quality Center
- QTP 11 now supports Web 2.0 Toolkit Applications out-of-the-box similar to any other add-ins.
QuickTest Professional 11.50 Unified Functional Testing 11.50
Unified Functional Testing 11.50 was released in Dec 2012. The combo of QuickTest Pro(QTP) + Service Test(ST) is now integrated into Unified Functional Testing(UFT). The major new features introduced in this version were:
- HP UFT Insight
- Multiple script Debugging
- PDF Checkpoints
- Support Open Source CI Systems
- Mobile Testing Support
Unified Functional Testing 11.51
A service pack UFT_00001.exe was released in Feb 2013 which has changed the version of UFT from UFT 11.50 to UFT 11.51.
- This patch has various bug fixes and minor enhancements. It has an added support for Windows 8 and IE 10.
- Mozilla Firefox version 19 is now supported with a patch UFT_00037.EXE
Unified Functional Testing 11.52
A service pack UFT_00022.EXE was released in June 2013 which has changed the version of UFT from UFT 11.51 to UFT 11.52. (This service pack can be installed directly on top of 11.50, you don’t need UFT 11.51 if you have not installed it earlier)
- This patch has various bug fixes and minor enhancements. With this patch, UFT now fully supports .xlsx format.
- HP is keeping pace with Firefox. It has added support for Firefox 21 in this pack.
- A new method was added for Insight objects: ClickSpecial.
- New versions are supported for SAP CRM, WDA, SAP Portal.
- New support for numerous SAP Web Dynpro ABAP controls.
Unified Functional Testing 11.53
A service pack UFT_00044.EXE was released in December 2013 which has changed the version of UFT from UFT 11.52 to UFT 11.53. (This service pack can be installed directly on top of 11.50, you don’t need UFT 11.51 or 11.52 if you have not installed them earlier)
- This Service Pack addresses quality and performance issues found in the 11.50 Major release and its previous service packs, SP 1 & SP 2.
- This service pack is a mandatory update for all UFT 11.50/11.51/11.52 and Service Test 11.50/11.51/11.52 users.
Unified Functional Testing 12
UFT 12 was released in March 2014. The major new features introduced in UFT 12 were:
- Better, Faster installer
- Better ALM authentication
- Auto Upload of run results to ALM
- Introducing support to test Safari browser on a remote Mac (in technology preview mode)
- Support for more technologies
Unified Functional Testing 12.01
UFT 12.01 was released in July 2014. The major new features introduced in UFT 12.01 were:
- Official support for Windows 8.1
- Support for Safari on Mac OS is now out of Tech Preview and available for production environment
- Chrome extension for UFT is available in Chrome Store from now on
- Better documentation
- Support for windows run time objects
UFT 12.02 is the latest version available in the market as of June 2015.
Welcome new readers: Download the Free eBook!
I am Ankur Jain, the owner of LearnQTP and founder of a software organization. This site is run, maintained and updated by me and my team. Feel free to take a look around, if you're beginning with QTP take a look at our step-by-step guide. If you're looking for help on QTP certification check the QTP certification mock papers, if you are looking for a more comprehensive training check our online QTP training course.
You can connect with me on my Google+ page.
If you have been working on QTP for some time, you will definitely love these Ways to optimize QTP script performance.
Please enter your first name and email address below to instantly download the eBook on Optimizing QTP Scripts. In future, we will make sure you get new tips & tricks on QTP delivered direct to your email box.